Centre Speaker... WAF Trouble :(

kevshed

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking for some advice on a centre speaker.

I am in the process of buying a new house.. so can finally upgrade my speakers.

I have settled on B&W 704s for Fronts... and the ASW700 and matching rears..... However... the wife is putting her foot down about the centre.

My layout is going to be a Pioneer 434 over a fireplace.. so the B&W Centre... is just not an option.. its massive and as the wife puts it "Is bloody horrible looking".

I need an alternate.... suggestions please. I guess it needs to be smallish and match as well as possible to the rest of the stage.... I know what the responses are going to say.... but i cant afford to trade in the wife for a more hifi friendly version unfortunatly... :(

Help

kev

I take it you're going for the DS7s (see my thread, which I started 8 minutes before yours). Did you auditions them and what did you think?

Shame your missus doesn't like the centre speaker - it's sounds great, and I like its looks (and so does my wife!!). However, it does take up a lot of room, I must admit.

yes, i auditioned the DS7s.. and liked them a lot... but must admit, they are probably not the best musically - but did set up a great rear stage for movies.... which to me is more important tbh. I agree with what you said about cost though... and i still am considering the 705's for the same reasons as you. Issue again is the wife... she doesnt mind the DS7s on the wall.. but objects to "more bloody speakers" on the floor.

I think i could work round that.. if i can solve my centre problem :(

Have you considered Dynaudio in-wall speakers? (assuming that'll work for you)

Dean

Don't use a centre speaker - set it to none, and the mains will cover it..

Hehehe - most people here will disagree with that and suggest a cr**py small tonally unmatched centre speaker above a decent pair of mains creating a phantom centre image.(something 'stereo' has been doing for years btw) :devil:

Cheers

Rob

Originally posted by robwells
Don't use a centre speaker - set it to none, and the mains will cover it...

You can't say things like that around here. People who've paid £££'s for centre speakers and who then sit in smallish rooms head-on to their 28" widescreen TV's with their main front speakers three feet apart just won't stand for that sort of nonsense :D

Mike.

Baffle her!
Buy a small one that you know you can return OK. Set it up but don't plug it in or have the volume down on the amp. The wife will soon get frustrated when she can't here much dialogue.
You can then explain that the smaller nicer looking center speaker just can't match up to your existing fronts, and that you obviously need the larger one!:D
These sort of things have to be done sometimes:devil:

Or give her choice between the B&W and some other speakers (making sure they are the ugliest things around) so she'll have to go for the B&W ;)

It is a shame the B&W matching centre is so big.. I'm having to buy a new plasma stand for it so it will actually fit :|

Originally posted by Flimber
You can't say things like that around here. People who've paid £££'s for centre speakers and who then sit in smallish rooms head-on to their 28" widescreen TV's with their main front speakers three feet apart just won't stand for that sort of nonsense :D

Mike.

:rotfl:

Rob

thanks for the posts.... phantom idea is an interesting one.... as is the 'confuse' the wife option....

Inwall isnt really an option...... but i am considering building the B&W centre into the fireplace - (not with the fire obviously!)... as long as we keep the fire in the dining room i may get away with it.

Mike, i live in bournemouth -> but travel a lot around M4 corridor.. so if you have an option im more than interested!

Taking her to the local dealer (again) this afternoon to look for options in an attempt to brainwash :)

cheers all !
Kev

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom