1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

centre speaker upgrade

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dariusk, Aug 20, 2003.

1. dariusk

dariusk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am wondering if anyone out there can recommend a decent centre speaker to compliment my current setup.

I have M72 fronts, m7ds surrounds a rel quake sub and a m7c1 centre all running through a Marantz SR4200 Surround Sound receiver.

In general I am very happy with my setup apart from the centre speaker, which I find quite poor. This is infuriating as the centre plays such a major role in home cinema. I only ever use my surrounds and centre for home cinema so playing music through them is not so important. I NEED crystal clear dialogue through my centre!

I was thinking of upgrading to the m7c2 do people have any thoughts on this?

Should I also be considering centres from brands other than mission or will this leave my setup unbalanced?

Your help is much appreciated! :?

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The m7c2 is certainly a better centre speaker,but Mission also have a range of more expensive centres....as for mixing with other brands......a number of people do this,but it all comes down to mathcing the centre with the speakers you already have in terms of tonal balance...the only solution to that is to demo a number of speakers with your own system.

How much did you want to spend approximately?

3. dariusk

dariusk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    I was looking to spend around 200 pounds. But could be perswaded to shell out a little more for really good performance.

which models are missions other centres? I have also heard of the mission m5c but I don't know if this will compliment my m72s...

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I was thinking of the M5C....the only way of finding out if it suits or not would be to try it in your own system....I'm sure a good dealer would let you do that.

5. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    hi there dariusk.
    i too have the m7c1 (albeit the i version) and was wondering what centre speaker you decided to go with as i am also in the middle of considering an upgrade.
    very interested to hear your findings.
    many thanks in advance.
    paul1672

6. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I'm on my third Mission centre in a year trying to get a good match for my M73's. Tried M7C1 (crap), than M7C2 (much better). This week I went out and bought a pair of M72's (£79 from Audio-T) & used one as a centre. And now I finally have a perfect front soundstage. Another M72 will be perfect for you. It looks slightly odd on it's side in my rack, but sounds lovely. :smashin: Cheaper than M7C2, with perfect tone matching. You could also use the spare M72 at the rear in a 6.1 setup if your Marantz supports this???

7. serdar13

serdar13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought M74i's for the fronts and M7DS's for the rears and was considering buying a M7C2 for the front and a M7C1 for the rear centre.

Wouldn't you suggest this then and opt for 2 M72's?

8. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hell yes! (Almost) perfect matching tone (the M74i's are very slightly diff to M72i's because of cabinet volume& extra driver, but much much closer than M7C2) and you'll pay much more getting 2 diff. centres than one pair of matching speakers. The M7C1 is pretty poor IMO.

serdar13 PLEASE NOTE: get the M72i version to match your M74i's best. :smashin:

9. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    don't think my missus wud like a bulky speaker in the front cabinet (doubt it wud take it ne way and don't really wanna end up with a spare speaker also as i i already have 2 rear centres).ne way,i've been interested in using the m7c2 centre speaker and what i was wondering is if that wud be an excellent upgrade to the m7c1i or how about the m5c?
    any advice wud be greatly appreciated.
    paul1672

10. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Not heard the M5C, but I have compared the M72 and the M51 and they are different sounding speakers. I wouldn't use a M5C with speakers from the M7 range. The M7C2 is a big step up from the M7C1 - Mission realised the C1 wasn't good enough, so released the C2 and it IS GOOD! If it fits in your rack, you will love it's improvement over the C1. I did, I just like the extra couple % better integration I get from the M72. Fussy bugger. :D

11. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    cheers for that.
    it's decided then.
    an m7c2 it is.
    i don't suppose you know any good places to source one do you?
    best price i've found is £109
    many thanks
    paul1672

12. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Good price! Go for it! :smashin: