1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre Speaker upgrade..worth it?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by CDUD, Jan 10, 2005.

1. CDUD

CDUD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have a very mix n match 6.1 set up at present.

AEGIS EVO 3's front, Mirage Omnisat Micro rear centre L & R
    Mirage LF100 Sub and an old Celestion Impact Centre 1 centre.

I now have a stand mounted Plasma which is a little too low to allow me to put the centre speaker in front. My choices are

1) place it behind tv and turn it up (not very good I know)

2) place it on the floor beneath cabinet (closed cabinet so it cant go inside)
    It does have slightly adjustable feet so I can then point it upwards.

3) Replace centre speaker with lower profile one ( sub 130mm in height)

As you can see I'm not much of an audiophile so just wanted opinions about 2) or suggestion for 3) if anyone has time.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    1) If you mean that you will place the centre within the line of sight it may work. If you mean that it will be hidden behind the screen I think that the sound may end up muffled.

2) Not a good idea as the centre should be as close as possible to the screen to lock the dialogue to the screen. If you place the centre speaker on the floor it may end up all disjointed.

3) The ideal is to have three tonally matched speakers at the front but you seem not to have this in your current setup. If you are happy with different voice tones from the centre to the main stereo pair at the moment it may be your best solution to replace the centre speaker with one that will fit closer to the screen if you aren't worried about the voice mismatch.

3. CDUD

CDUD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian

Like I said my system is all a bit mix n match anyway so having a mismatched centre isnt too much of an issue. The AE centre would complement my front AEGIS but I would still have the same issue with no room in front of the plasma to place it. It is currently behind the screen and I have to adjust the centre volume quite a lot to even get it approx right so I know that is wrong. Appreciate your advice re floor positioning though. Might just try and find something short enough to sit in front of the screen.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    A small speaker stand in front of the screen so that the centre is directly beneath the screen would be ideal, if a little unsightly.

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    AE evo centre and a breeze block wrapped in carpet/material:D