Centre speaker upgrade or not?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sim12, Jan 15, 2018.

1. sim12

sim12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I currently have monitor audio bx as my 5.1 setup, bx5 L/R, BXFX as rears and bx centre.

I was thinking of changing the centre out for the silver series, it's on sale at the moment for £159.

To my understanding the centre channel mainly deals with vocals on movies, and surely this is an upgrade over the bx I'm currently running , but I also read about the importance of matching L/R centre for the front sound stage.

Would I be better staying as I am with the complete bx series, or change the centre out? Any advice would be great.thanks SIM12.

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Really you want to keep the front 3 the same make and model. Could you upgrade all three to the Silver series?
    Now you may be fine with changing just the centre as not everyone can hear the difference but you could buy it and find it does not go well. If you could listen to it first before buying then that would be the ideal.
    Where and how is your current centre positioned? Is it in or on an AV cabinet?

3. l34052

l34052

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    I went from the bx to rx series a few years back and for me at least it was a worthwhile investment. The overall build and finish is much nicer on the rx and once run in they sound much better with clearer highs and a much more full bodied sound overall.

As for whether to use the rx centre, it will certainly work with no issues at all however you may notice a slight tonal difference as things pan the front sound stage. Only you can decide whether it's noticeable enough to live with or not.

Personally I prefer my front speakers to be the same and I'd say if you can stretch to matching front speakers then do so.

4. sim12

sim12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Thanks for the replies, the centre lives on a glass tv cabinet about one ft from the floor, with the main seating position roughly 10 ft back.

I think I will go ahead and buy the silver centre and see how it integrates with bx5 floor standers, my main function for the speakers 85% tv/movies and 15 music, so hopefully i may just get away with it.

Unfortunately the matching L/R are out of my price range so unless they come up on sale or perhaps classifieds they are out of the question.

I'll post back week or so when the speaker has arrived and had some time to run in. Thanks SIM12.

5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Getting the speaker off the cabinet will help with sound quality as it will not be sounding its best where it is now. A sound isolation pad can help and also making sure the front of it is proud of the cabinet as well. But a proper speaker stand or wall bracket would be better.
    The problem with a mismatched centre is more apparent on films so with your useage it is more likely to be an issue.