1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre speaker to match Mission 773e and 77DS

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Sunil, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Sunil

Sunil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Mission 773e front speakers, and 77DS rear surrounds connected to a Pioneer VSX-D2011 AV amp.

I was planning on getting a matching Mission 77C1 for the centre channel. However, I've been trying to get one from Richer Sounds for the past 5 months without any luck.

I've basically given up hope of getting one now since they seem to be no longer available, and need advice on what my next best option would be. I'm not interested in aesthetics or size - my ONLY concern is the sound quality of the important dialogue channel, and matching the tone of the other speakers. I'm thinking of the M7C1, M7C2 and M5C, and would appreciate some advice on which of these (or any other speaker) would make the best centre speaker?

2. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
  3. Sunil

Sunil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the links, John. I've actually already tried Hyperfi, and although they still list the 77C1 in their adverts, and internet site, they told me they do not have it available anymore.

I will try Movement Audio tomorrow, although I suspect that their internet price list may be out of date too...

So I was right in thinking the best speaker (if it were available) would have been the 77C1 rather than anything else?

Cheers,
    Sunil

4. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I recently added a pair of M5DS centre rears to my other '77' speakers.....sounds cool..:D

I see in your post you considered the M7C2 (RRP £150) or the M5C (RRP £200)

Sevenoaks sound and vision had an internet offer on the M5C at £109, but that offer ended yesterday..:(

Might be worth ringing them though?

What do you use as centre rears? consider another pair of 773e's from RS for left and right surrounds (really cheep at present) and use your 77DS for center rears???

5. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    In that case, see if you can get yourself another single 773e for centre duties. Would be the ideal choice for sound quality and tonal matching.....

Dunc

6. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    VERY silly....:) Its not shielded, AND his telly would fall off of it

7. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It would work if he had a plasma or PJ. Don't think he mentioned what he had vision-wise...

Dunc

8. Sunil

Sunil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've actually just bought a plasma screen, so the lack of shielding would not be a problem.

Using a 773e as a centre though would be difficult, as the screen at the moment is not high enough to have it underneath. Unless I lay it flat... Would look a bit strange though...

However, like I said, my primary concern is sound quality. I've often wondered if centre speakers are actually tuned differently to normal speakers? If not, and it is just their orientation, maybe I should try to get some 771's or 772's to use as a centre channel (assuming they are still available), as these would fit under the TV nicely.

Would it be feasible to use both speakers side-by-side as the centre channel by running two sets of cable to them from the single centre speaker output from the amp? I guess it would, in the same way that bi-wiring works?

Johndm - I do not have any centre rear speakers at the moment, although probably will want to upgrade with some in the future. Your idea about buying some more 773e's to use as surrounds and relegating the 77DS's to rear centres is a good one. However, the thought of having to chase Richer Sounds for them if they are out of stock fills me with dread...

PS. I cannot believe I missed that offer on the M5C from Sevenoaks!

9. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i purchased the 77c with 2 pairs of 773 e, s last summer from richer, and it was quite a battle to actually buy them, as richer were trying to offload some tat off onto me.i must admit that the 77c is a very good centre for the price[ i paid 110 for the black one]i hope you can track one down.

10. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    They're not (usually) tuned differently, except maybe allowances made for the likelihood of less than ideal placement (on top of the telly, or under the telly in a stand). A 771 would probably suit you very well - and would certainly be easier to position than a 773. :)

Cheers,

Dunc

11. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i could try my local richer for you, and let you know the outcome.i live in the north east though.if they had one im sure they could transfer it for you!

12. Sunil

Sunil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That would be great if you could try, Hamtaro!

Not sure Richer Sounds can actually transfer goods between the branches - that would make it too easy for their customers... ;-)

Cheers,
    Sunil

13. Vection

Vection
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 773e's, 771e's and a 77c1. I just tried your idea or using a 771 as the center and it worked nicely.
    I would recomend ringing around a few RS stores to see what stock they have as some staff seem to lose interest once they realise that you'll make your purchase (read comission) at another store. I had to travel to chelsea to pick up my 771's Bl**dy annoying on the underground but was worth it in the end.

14. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sunil....i will let you know tommorow. they can transfer stock...they did it for me....on the exact same speaker your looking for!

15. Sunil

Sunil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vection - I think I have actually tried every London Richer Sounds store, and their national line, over the past few months for the 77C1. I do not know if any stores did get them, and then sell them before I got around to ringing again, but if so, I must be very unlucky.

Hamtaro, I'd be very grateful if you could try. If you do manage to find one, the best RS store for me would be Croydon, but I'm willing to travel to any of the London stores.

Johndm - Unfortunately, Movement Audio have said they sold out of 77C1's a while ago...

16. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not good my local richer says that theyre are doing anymore mission speakers at all ,and that the ones your,e after are discontinued. they did of course have all the usual cheapy brands that they never run out of!!!!!!!! sorry i did try. [my richer is the middlesbrough branch]

17. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it should read they are not doing...........

18. Sunil

Sunil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hamtaro - thanks a lot for trying. Yes, it seems like I have no chance of getting a 77C1 new now. I wish I had just bought one at the same time that I got my 77DS's at the end of last year rather than waiting and getting everything gradually.

I think my options for a centre speaker now are 77C1 second hand, M7C2 or M5C...

19. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Out of date lists are a pain eh? Keep your eyes peeled on this forum and ebay.....bet you'll get what you want pretty soon!

Noticed you thought about twin centre fronts on an earlier post. I thought about this a little while ago, as my 77C1 is too low below the TV, and too high on top. However, advice from the chaps here was a big NO. As they can cancel each other out!
    I used to run a pair of Kenwoods for C/F before I got my 555ES, but they ran off a separate dedicated amp. (as did all other channels). Rushed out and got the 77C1 just after Christmas (when the 555ES arrived) as I could see problems with impedance loads with my old Kenwoods.

Maybe you can console yourself with those 773e's as rears if RS still have any.....I had the bargain of my life when I got my 773e's from them, they sent me THREE pairs for the price of one.
    Being honest, I sent one pair back Tee Hee..:D :D

Wonder if they still do 'Buy one get one free'?

20. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
  21. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i use 773 e,s for front and rears.......very happy

22. Sunil

Sunil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why would two speakers used as a centre channel cancel each other out (unless they were connected out of phase), as a left & right speaker emitting a mono signal don't?

Or, remembering back to days in school studying physics, is it something to do with standing waves and that place in the middle where the music gets quieter?

I suppose using just one bookshelf speaker as a centre would be fine though?

Thanks for the sevenoaks link. When I looked during the day yesterday it was still only showing last weeks offers, and when I called up they couldn't tell me what they had as their computer system was down!

23. Sunil

Sunil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I thought I'd give an update on my current situation, and get some views on what I've done now...

Well, I bought a brand new M5C, which worked OK, but then managed to find a second hand 77C1, which I couldn't resist buying as well!

Comparing both, I found the 77C1 a better match for my other speakers, both tonally and in terms of the smoothness of panning in movies, so I stuck with it.

I didn't return the M5C because I thought I could use it in the future as a centre rear, and anyway, you can never have too many speakers, can you...

So, my M5C has been gathering dust for the past 6 months in my spare room.

Last weekend I thought I'd do a bit of experimenting, and connected a set of cables from the 77C1 to the M5C to see what they'd sound like together. The M5C is below my plasma, and the 77C1 is above it. I used a test disc to make sure they were both in-phase, and reinforcing each other.

I ran my AV amp's auto-calibrate function, and played a few DVDs. I was amazed that, to my ear, the centre channel had significantly improved in clarity and depth. The 2011 used to set my 77C1 to a few +dB's, and I used to have to increase it a bit more to hear voices over music. It actually set my "twin-centre" set-up as minus a few dB's, and voices still sound much more powerful than they ever did.

I am impressed with the improvement, but was wondering if the theory is that it shouldn't be better? And, more importantly, am I doing any damage to my amp, or the centre speakers by using them in parallel like this?

24. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The two Mission 75C centre speakers that I have for sale in the classifieds have been used as both centre and centre rear. I also used them as twin centre speakers when everyone was telling me they would cancel each other out or blow up or become radioactive etc etc........

However, everyone who actually heard them was always amazed at the clarity and power when they were run as twin centres.

Good for you, not taking peoples opinions as gospel.

regards

Parmenion

25. Sunil

Sunil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers! :)