Centre speaker to match Kef Q35s

Nathanc

Established Member
Reaction score
I am trying to find a centre speaker to complete my surround set up and have so far only been looking at Kef (80c, 95c, Ref 90, Ref 100).

Can anyone perhaps suggest an alternative speaker that would have a similar sonic balance to my Q35s?

The difficult bit - I don't really want to spend any more than £50 excluding delivery.

Thanks

I think you'd be better off waiting and increasing your budget so you can get the Model 100 centre (2nd hand prices are around the 140/150 quid mark). The centre channel is very important and a decent speaker should be used.

In that case wouldn't I be better off getting a brand new Q9c for £250 ??

Nathan, since you seem to be quite knowledgable in this area, could you tell me - technicially, what is it about the Reference 100 that makes it better than, say, a Q9c?

It's a bigger box, possibly bi-wired, is the UNI-Q driver different to the lower models or does it have better internal wiring or improved cross over or something?

Thanks

I think Nathan_silly has been banned for a month...

I think Nathan_silly has been banned for a month...

Oh!

Well can anyone else explain the real benefits of the Kef Reference Model 100 centre speaker over its cheaper siblings?

Nathanc.

As a "veteran" of most things Kef, BUY the 100c, it is a vastly superior model IMHO to anything below it in the Kef range, it is perhaps THE seminal serious "budget" center for near enough the last decade, (look for a later version if possible) it has YET to be superseeded for the money in my opnion and will without doubt bring a sense of calmness and refinement to your HC that the 95c will not.
Kef have made some superb centers (100c,200c,23c,202c and 204). This is as no brainer as it gets.

Regards

Steven.

But if you compare the specs between the Q9c and the 100, latest the Q9c comes out looking pretty good!

Nathanc

Then buy the 9c then.

Paper specs for speakers tell us nothing on performance.
There is not a single Kef experienced member/enthusiast here or anywhere else that would take the 9c over the 100c in my opinion on the basis of which is the better speaker.

Well, you can't say any fairer than that!

Thanks Steve

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom