Centre Speaker to go with Q Acoustics Concept 20

SpikeP

Novice Member
Hi,

Can anyone advise me please?

I'm about to purchase a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 20 speakers as replacements for my old JPW Minis and, as I use them for (two channel) home cinema as much as music, was wondering if I should add a centre to improve dialogue and make it 3.0. I have a new Marantz AV Receiver that would allow this.

A full surround system isn't practical in the room I've decided and a sub is out of the question. I also value clear speech over action volume and would be happy with the level of bass from the fronts. I notice that with my old speakers dialogue is often boomy and difficult to make out compared to the Samsung TV speakers. Would the Q7000C be compatible with the Concept 20s and add clarity or just be superfluous? I've looked at the larger 2000C centre but it's enormous by comparison and just that bit too big for my set-up.

Does anyone have experience of this configuration or have knowledge of the comparison?

Thanks,

PSM1

Distinguished Member
You really want the front 3 speakers to be the same make and model to ensure a good front soundstage. If they do not do a dedicated centre in the concept range then you could use the same speaker you are using for R/L duties as the centre (this is actually ideal as it is then the same speaker in all 3 locations). A mismatched centre is a compromise and you may find it better not having one at all.

SpikeP

Novice Member
Thank you for your reply. Essentially I'm after clarity of dialogue so I'll see how the Concepts perform in two-channel before deciding on making an addition of a centre. If so, it would seem that the Q Acoustics 2000c is the likely candidate (as it shares the same drivers as the Concepts I believe) rather than the Q7000 centre. It's just so ... BIG. I'd have to put my TV on a plinth above it. Is there anyone from Q Acoustics/Armour here who can advise on this please?

ruffbadger

If it helps I have recently been playing with both a Q7000 and Q2020i 5.1 system in my living room. Having settled on the 2000i system due to a the amount of music I listened to (the 2020s are more pleasing in a 2.0 config than the 7000s in 2.1) I also played with alternating the centre speakers as I too felt the 2000ci was too large (as did my other half!). I have to say I definitely preferred the integration of the 2000ci despite, until I can reconfigure the whole set up, the fact that it obscures a small part of the bottom of the screen.

SpikeP

Novice Member
Thank you, ruffbadger. That's good to know.

Did you find that dialogue clarity was improved by the centre or was the two channel just as good? Weirdly I'm finding that the tiny speakers in my 38' Samsung are better for dialogue than the JPW speakers through a Marantz which seems to go against all received wisdom. Oh the complications of first world problems.

ruffbadger

I would, however, it is more an improvement in depth, detail and positioning, which I suppose, overall contributes to clarity. I'd say you would notice a marked difference. I would have thought the TV speakers are going to be geared towards accentuating the frequencies of dialogue whilst the JPW are going to have a more even spread of frequencies which combined with the physical location of each set of speakers (the TV speakers being more central) may have a significant effect on perceived clarity.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom