1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre speaker to go with mixed speaker setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dave48, May 5, 2002.

1. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I currently have a Denon 3802 feeding the front pre-outs to my Primare A30.1 which in turn go to my Jamo Concert 8's. For the centre speaker I am currently using a Wharefdale Diamond MkII and for the surrounds I am using Mordaunt Short MS20's.

My two stage plan is:

(1) buy a real centre speaker and make the Wharfedale Diamonds my Surround Rear speakers

(2) buy a full set of matching surround speakers (since both the Mordaunt Shorts and the Wharefdales are far too old to find matching speakers).

Notes:

(1) I would like to have bought a Jamo Concert Centre, but this is (a) horribly expensive, (b) next to impossible to buy.

(2) I need to change the Wharefdale Diamond as my centre speaker quite urgently since it is having unpleasant electromagnetic effects on my tele (no shielding other than a copy of the Yellow Pages)

(3) an upgrade to the surround and surround rear speakers is going to have to wait some time due to cashflow problems.

Any good suggestions for a centre speaker solution that I can stick directly on the tele? Budget is fairly open - anything from £80 - £200ish would do (but not the £500ish for a Concert Centre).

Obviously it would be ideal to go for a centre that has a sensible upgrade path for the other 4 surround speakers at some stage ....

Ta for any ideas,

Dave48

2. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mission 77c1.

3. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately it appears to be (almost) impossible to get hold of this loudspeaker out here in Germany.

Any other good tips?

Dave48

4. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    I would have said 77c1 as well. Failing that, the Tannoy MXC is one of the most neutral centre speakers I have heard and have seen it used in many mixed set ups with great effect.

Nothing else at all springs to mind for the money

5. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having done some searching, I have found one dealer who is selling the 77c1 (for 179 Euros in black, so about £110). I have also found one dealer who is selling the Jamo Concert Centre (or D8CEN) - but this is about 550 Euros, so about £350.

Has anyone by any chance ever compared these speakers to know if the (substantial) price difference is worth it? Due to lack of local availability, I'm not going to be able to get a demo of either speaker, let alone a home demo, so am going to have to take a bit of a punt on this ....

Dave48

6. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    canot comment on the jamo but the 77c1 punches way above its price and was a bargain at its retail price of £200.00. its great for m/c music as well, if that matters.

7. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just noticed on the Mission website that the 77 Series is listed as "LIMITED AVAILABILITY". Does this mean it is nearing the end of its life - and would thus partly explain why it is now for sale for nearer £110 than £200?

Dave48

8. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats correct, but it probably cost twice as much to produce as its replacement-the mission m5. get one if you can.

9. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK, looks like a 77c1 it is. It's probably mad spending more than 3 times as much on the Jamo Concert Centre, and I'm never going to be able to afford - or probably even find - the other surround speakers in the same range.

Thanks for your help!

Dave48