centre speaker stand

pickle

Standard Member
Reaction score
does anybody know anywhere that sells a speaker stand designed for holding a center speaker?

i have a B&W LCR600 that needs positioning under a PJ screen. (cant wall mount it due to a radiator)

i know i could buy a pair of stands and just use one of them, but this seems a waste. i also want to have the speaker sitting horizontally so ideally i want a speaker stand with a bigger footprint. does such a thing exsist?

Any good at diy? Using some mdf etc, you can make your own. I've some pics on my home page if you're interested.

Gary.

Hi,

I have got exactly the same problem, but I am just about to buy a pair of Atacama speaker stands and will have a spare speaker stands as I only need one for my front speaker. The ones I am getting are the Nexsus range. I will have an extra one and so if you're interested in going halves on the stands we could arrange something.

cheers

Andy

this sounds like a good plan.

what model are you considering buying? (ie what height?)

and in what colour?

and have you looked at prices?

Hi,

Looking at the Nexus series, for my centre speaker looking at 600 or 700 mm and was thinking of black. Price is £49.90 or £59.90 depending on hight. Check out www.petertyson.co.uk as they seem the cheapest....

cheers

Andy

i just made some measurements and unfortunately i dont think the top plate would be big enough to accomodate my center speaker.

thanks for the offer.

also, DIY aint my thing (lazyness really)

i really dont know what to do, ive had my center speaker sitting on the floor for 2 months now :(

cant believe no manufacturer has produced such an item :suicide:

They do a different size top plate (thinks its around £15) cant remember what size it is have a look at the Atacama web page and let me know

cheers

andy

the measurements i made were using the bigger top plate (thats not bigger, its just longer, but thinner)

the footprint of my speaker would be more than 6 times that of the top plate, which i dont believe is adequate.

If you could make enough space to get to the wall by raising or lowering the radiator (easy enough as its probably on brackets itself) you could get a local IronMonger to fabricate a wall hanging bracket of your own design. You'd have to ensure it was mounted with suitable heavy duty brick bolts but it can be done, probably also work out cheaper than some unsuitable speaker stands and would give the impression of 'floating in air'

Just a thought.

HouseofMu said:
If you could make enough space to get to the wall by raising or lowering the radiator (easy enough as its probably on brackets itself) you could get a local IronMonger to fabricate a wall hanging bracket of your own design. You'd have to ensure it was mounted with suitable heavy duty brick bolts but it can be done, probably also work out cheaper than some unsuitable speaker stands and would give the impression of 'floating in air'

Just a thought.

i have considered this , but its not really an option....

lowering the radiator would be a pretty big job and not one i would be willing to do myself (im not a plummer)

squeezing the center speaker in between the PJ screen and the radiator would mean the speaker sitting very close to the radiator. i dont believe the cyclical heating/cooling this would create, would be healthy for the speaker.

a door positioned at the front left of the room means the front L&R speakers sit about 4 feet infront of the screen. puttin the center speaker on the wall would mean it sitting 4 ft behind the L&R speakers. not exactly ideal for creating a balanced sound stage? :(

looks like im being forced down the DIY route. anybody know of any sites that give guides to building stands?

ive put mine on a shelf with no fixings exposed, from homebase £15.00
various shades of wood and silver

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 283
I have mine on the wall above my RPTV on a TV wall mount. Looks OK. Bought it from Homebase for £22.99. The width of the base plate is the exact width of the speaker. The arm also extends and tilts. If I knew how to post a picture then I would. Anyboby let me know?

Cheers

Paul

I knocked mine up out of steel box section. If you have a steel fabrication shop nearby go in and ask them to make you one. Material cost for mine was about £2 and I wouldn't expect anyone to charge you more than an hour's labour (£25ish) to make you one. Can of silver paint and your done.
Mike
stand.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom