1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre speaker questions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dmurfet, Feb 15, 2005.

1. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand common practice is centre should match L&R and same brand is a good idea.

How about siting the speaker - do you guys tend to put on a stand? on a shelf just below the screen? on the floor? (I have a wall mounted 42" plasma) and should it be level with teh front of the L&R or further back / forward?

Once you have a centre in place, would you place the L&R slightly further apart to get a bigger "stage"?

I have Sonus Faber Concerto Homes and I'm looking for the matching centre - any advice would be welcome (yes I know there is one on Ebay ATM - I will be bidding for it!)

David

2. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The common answer to most of your questions is to try various positions, speakers etc to see what you like best. However, the (perhaps) more useful answers to give you a starting point are:

1. The front three speakers (left, centre, right) should generally be from the same manufacturer and, ideally, from the same range. This should give an even tonal match across the front sound stage which is more significant than the rear.
    2. The speaker should have a solid, stable mounting but then be isolated from it by rubber pads or the like.
    3. Ideally the tweeters of the front three speakers should be in line but generally the centre speaker is sited below the screen. Floor level is not ideal as it will be 'firing' at your feet and will get more dusty/dirty.
    4. The ideal layout is where each speaker is equidistant from the seating position. If this is not possible, I would keep the front three speakers more-or-less level. Check out Dolby's web site for their suggested speaker locations and spacings.
    5. Not familiar with your speakers so no comment.

Happy experimenting!

3. Jackam

Jackam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ha ha! I have been waiting for a Sonus Faber Solo to come up on Ebay for a about a year, and have just lost patience bought one new!! Oh well!

I have Concerto Homes too, the Solo matches perfectly. The treble is a little subdued, I think due to the fact that the tweeter is not mounted on a solid baffle. Anything else wouldn't blend in properly.

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I think the tweeters should be at ear level, when your sitting, but as the speaker is horizontal you'll get a widdining of sound on the vertical plane, so it might not matter as much as it would on a floorstander.

I have mine mounted on top of my TV (with bluetac, after it fell on my head trying to wire it up) and it's about a few centermeters about ear level when sitting.

5. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I am a little restricted in two ways:

Firstly I have a dado rail running around the room exactly at ear level - therefore it will be mounted on a shelf just above it. (I figure the heavier and more attached to the external cement blocks rather than plasterboard, the better).

Secondly there is no way I am going to get away with another speaker stand in full view.

Only thing is my concerto homes sit a good 4 feet into the room to give them the air SF claim they need. This will leave the centre 4 feet behind them at a minimum (Actually slightly more if you measure to the fronts of the cabinets).

Should I be messing with the amplifiers manuyal setting to give the centre more balance and "bring it forward" a bit?

6. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    What ever sounds better!