Centre Speaker Question

Silver Serpent

Hi,

If a centre speaker can be bi-wired, should it be bi-wired for best performance, or just wire it with one run of cable?

Thanks.

digitalfife

I have been using a Mission system for about 5 years and to be honest I couldn't tell the difference in quality berween bi-wire or single wire.
However, the quality of cable does make a difference, subjectivly giving the system a more relistic and fuller sound.

One of the bug bares with bi-wireing is the wife factor, although to be fair she does alow me to experiment.

Helicon

Banned
Seeing as it's the most important speaker in the system, if it can be bi-wired, do it. Even if it's only a subtle difference (which i find most of the time), do it. If you only have to add another run of cable to your existing run, get the same. But if you have no cable at all yet for your centre, i'd spend your money on a better quality single wire cable to to improve things. You can always add another run of the same cable later on to improve things again.

Silver Serpent

Thanks.

I've just bought new cable, Oehlbach 2.5mm2. I heard it was meant to be good. Is it?

I should have enough to bi-wire the fronts and center, and then singly wire the rears, as I believe they shouldn't be bi-wired?

Helicon

Banned
You can bi-wire the rears if you want to, but i don't usually recommend it. If you already have your cable, bi-wire your centre then. I have no idea how good the cable is, i've heard the name, but never come across it in retailers over my 18 years in the trade.

Silver Serpent

You can bi-wire the rears if you want to, but i don't usually recommend it. If you already have your cable, bi-wire your centre then. I have no idea how good the cable is, i've heard the name, but never come across it in retailers over my 18 years in the trade.

It's a German brand.

You can check out their website here:

http://www.oehlbach.de/other/en/oehlbach_philosophie.php

I'll report back on how it sounds once I'm wired up.

Silver Serpent

I'm all wired up now and there is a big difference in bass and clarity compared to what it was beforehand.

Bi-wiring the centre made a difference too.

The Oehlbach cable is good, I would recommend it. It is definitey better than what I had before, although I haven't a clue what brand that was.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom