Centre Speaker Question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Vectraone, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Vectraone

Vectraone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The centre speaker seems really quiet and a bit weak when using with DVD although PL2 mode on TV or Sky seems OK. I've just watched Star Wars Ep 1 with the inlaws and found i had the centre channel on +12db to get loud/clear speech (without turning the overall volume up too loud).

I have a Denon 2802 amp, Mission M73 fronts, M7C1 centre and B&W 601S2 rears with a Tosh 210 DVD player.

I wondered whether upgrading the centre speaker to a new M7C2 would make much difference (given its bigger size) to the sound level/clarity. Has anyone listened one of these boys and compared to the M7C1?

If not, anyone recommend a good centre for the above set up, silver in colour if possible.

Cheers

Colin.

PS Have read previous threads regarding dubious quality of dedicated centres and suggestion that you should use the same speaker as your fronts, but just can't see the M73 floorstander on top of the TV!!

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    PS Have read previous threads regarding dubious quality of dedicated centres and suggestion that you should use the same speaker as your fronts, but just can't see the M73 floorstander on top of the TV!!

Yes, ideally that would be the best solution but usually isn't possible due to cost or placing, as well I haven't seen a place where you can actually buy one speaker only.
    So it usually only leaves to compromise using a dedicated center speaker of the same brand and series to ensure similar or equal drivers and construction.

3. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whatever you decide about your centre speaker don't use ep. 1 as a test disc. i had problems with this disc using an excellent centre. according to answers on this forum i was told that the speech on this disc is lower than usual.

4. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ONe thing you could try is getting a SPL meter to check that you have the same level of sound from each speaker. I wouldnt use the level indicators (ie +5 for all speakers) because i know from using a SPL meter that this doesnt work. I had +6 for centre +3 for surround speakers. This made the front speaker and surround speaker the same level. I dont pump up the volume of the centre speaker, you should be able to hear speech clearly with all speakers set to the same level. As the previous post says, try a number of discs just in case the centre signal is crap.

5. Chip

Chip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, you should use a test disc such as avia or ve to set your levels with your spl meter.

chip