1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

centre speaker problem

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ewin, Jul 3, 2003.

1. ewin

ewin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the millennium moviebox speakers which are millenium 100`s for the front ,centre and ht2 bipolar rears.
    My question is i don`t know if my centre speaker should be set at large or small .
    the freq of the speaker is 80-20,000
    the fronts are set to large and produce very good bass but i don`t know if the centre can handle the extra bass.

kit- tosh220edvd,pioneer vsx-510da/a amp,milleniumspeakers,gale sub,ht2 bipolar rears,tosh v752vcr,denon dcd-520 cd player.

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Without a subwoofer all speakers should be set to large to get all of the frequency range to be transmitted to the speakers. Small is usually used when the lfe (lower frequency) signal is sent to a designated sub for bass.
    Your centre will be able to cope with most of the frequency ranges required and should be set to large imo. If you set it to small you will not be producing the best centre channel repro possible as not all of the sound frequencies available will be used.

3. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have a different opinion on this. When you set your surround speakers to Small (centre and Surrounds) the low frequencies are redirected to your stereo pair, which if you do not have a sub will default to large, you should not notice any change in bass as the human ear is not very good at picking up the direction of frequencies below about 125Hz. This assumes you have a decent stereo pair.

I believe this is better as it leaves your surrounds to cope with less information and as a result should sound more detailed especially in the mid range which is critical for speech etc. It is just my opinion and I feel my system sounds better set like this, in the end they are your ears try both settings and see which you prefer.:smashin: