1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre Speaker positioning

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Tracey, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it better to have the centre speaker higher than the front L/R rather than lower? I've got a new tv stand which has smoked glass doors on the front but when they're open they don't fold back on themselves so having the centre speaker in the cabinet means that I will have to keep the doors open most of the time which doesn't look very nice. The only options I have are to either take the glass doors off which will spoil the look of the cabinet, or have the centre above the tv. However I'm not allowed to have it sitting on top of the tv so the only soltion I can come up with is to build a shelf that sits on the wall behind the tv, at a height just above the top of the screen, would that work if it was further back, than the front speakers? It would be about 400 - 500mm higher then the front speakers but at the moment it's about 400 - 500mm lower.

2. Neil Porter

Neil Porter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I used to have my centre speaker above my TV and it was fine. Luckily mine sat on top of the telly though. Why can't yours go on top? Maybe fixed by some blu-tak?

If there is a way to try the speaker in the raised position then give it a go to check how it sounds. If it sounds the same (or better!) then go for it with the shelf thing.

Let's face it, if you like the way it sounds (and looks I suppose) then that's all that matters.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I have to have mine positioned above the TV,and the sound stage from there is absolutely fine.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have had centre speakers above and below the TV and haven't noticed any difference. The one thing that I haven't tried is having the speaker both above and behind the TV as I feel that won't work as well.

It is refreshing to hear from a girl that "her boyfriend won't allow......." just to show that it isn't just the ladies that object to the hardware necessary for AV

5. Jsinger

Jsinger
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tracy, your idea of a shelf behind and slightly above the TV is actually a very good one, as it makes a lot of sonic sense to have the centre speaker supported on a stable shelf rather than a TV casing and it's also preferable to have the centre speaker slightly behind the L/R channels in an arc arrangement.

Mounting the centre speaker directly on top of the TV case itself is probably one of the worst places to site it unfortunately, even though it's the most obvious/only option for most of us.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Please explain your reasoning.

7. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    An arc to ensure the speakers are equidistance to the listening position?

8. Jsinger

Jsinger
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately it's not my reasoning, but that of those who probabaly know a lot better than us. Please see the foot of this page: Ideal Surround Speaker Placement

And your reasoning for this is?

9. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just realised that maybe this is a bad idea anyway as we soundproofed the wall so don't really want to be making holes in it. I've been looking at the B-tech brackets that are available in black, it's either that or off come the glass doors. I also thought maybe I could get some new glass doors made that are smaller so when they're closed the centre speaker is still on show.

10. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He wasn't happy when I showed him the MJ Accoustics Ref 1 that I want, even though I told him I was getting the smallest sub I could, just for him! A storm is definiltey out of the question. :mad: