1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre speaker positioning

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by MrWibbleman, Apr 17, 2005.

1. MrWibbleman

MrWibbleman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just brought a Panny TX-32PM11 CRT with stand. I set it up with my amp on the floor and the centre speaker above it on the shelf right under the TV. The amp is too big to swap them round.

Could the position of this speaker damage the TV?

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The ideal place for a centre speaker is just below the TV (ideally angled up towards your listening position) so you needn't worry.

You should try and get your amp up a bit from the floor though as it will get all sorts of dust and crap inside it. Not to mention knocked by the hoover if your family are anything like mine! :)

3. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Speaker is fine on this shelf.Ihad mine on this shelf on my px28pm11. Most centre speakers are magnetically shielded

4. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    I've had mine sitting on Top of the TV for about a year. Yesterday i swapped it to the top shelf under my TV slightly angled upwards towards my listening position. This has seemed to make a great improvement on the couple of films i've watched since.

Would the amp have room to sit on a tile, paving/marble slab or similar to raise it off the carpet as mentioned by eviljohn it will suck up all the dust ect on the directly on the floor.

5. MrWibbleman

MrWibbleman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for putting my mind at rest. When I took the shelf off I used the glass base for the amp to sit on on the floor. I think this should be okay.

Cheers guys.

6. thelordmagus

thelordmagus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    lo guys.
    sorry for the post-napping :)
    I'm planning on completing my system soon, and I was originally planning on putting the center speakers ontop of my telly. The TV is on a stand which makes it quite low in height. I thought it would be enough for a speaker to sit untop of it. I will definitely try to put it below it, if it fits (one of these specially designed stands for widescreen TVs), to test both setups, but in the end, I will have to buy cables depending on where I put my stuff :)

Thanks for any reply :clap:

7. stevearliss

stevearliss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this really make that much difference? I had hoped to recess mine in the wall above my new Plasma; I don't think it is going to be possible to do the same below it, due to structural reasons as the hefty studs I will hang the TV on will be in the way.

8. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    Because the top of my Panny PD30 slants slightly upwards, even when the Egg was pointed as far as the foot would allow it seemed to point slightly skywards. Remember also that the PD30's are over 1100mm tall which doesn't help either.

Now that i have it on the glass shelf below the TV i can point the speaker slightly upwards to meet ear level in the main seat :D

Maybe you could angle the speaker down to ear level when seated.

9. stevearliss

stevearliss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must admit I hadn't thought about needing to point it downwards, but I should be able to, and it should make a difference. I think I might experiment with the current TV before I get the wall built.