Centre speaker positioning advice

gibbsy

I bought the cabinet a fair while ago because I just hated all the wires showing for the amps, speakers, etc. The other consideration was storage for the amps and when I saw this one with the sliding doors it was sold because I've always left doors open on their hinges for ventilation before and the dogs kept smacking into them.

When it was delivered it was an opps, oh dear moment as the speakers could not be accommodated either side of it on stands. There is a door to the left and wall to the right. It weight about 70kg so no vibration or resonance and the speakers and 65'' just about fit on it's two metre width.

Certainly looks good, lovely bit of furniture, speakers are fine on isolation feet on top. Only a few wires in view and the spiders that dwell within the spaghetti of cables behind can now live in peace. Liked it so much I bought a second smaller one for my headphone system to go on.

Dobbyisfree

Our dogs stay clear of the wires/cables UNLESS the grandkids have been round and dropped any sort of toy there... then we've had it!

So, yes part of our move around will mean it is all blocked off.

So funny what you said with the doors though!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
@Gasp3621 would you say, optimised for home cinema/TV purposes and not hi-fi, that equilateral triangle is the best for FL and FR?

I think it`s good place to start, but depending also how far one sits and will the walls be close to speakers then etc. There has been many cases where people have put the speakers too narrow and when asked to try widen them it has sounded way better. Ideally not pushing them wider than the distance you sit from though. It`s easy to try and go by ear.

I am going to get a 65" or 77" next...this needs to be incorporated into the planning!

Great! I was going to say the tv looks so tiny. :) 77" without doubt if you can afford it! People always think it will be too big. But the truth is it will look large one week and then your eyes will get used to it.

For 80" 4K tv optimal watching distance 6,7-10 feet. So 2-3meters. I think 77" could be just spot on. I had 106" fixed screen and couch 3meters away, it was 1080p though. Started to feel normal soon and then dreaming of 120".. :laugh:

Dobbyisfree

@Dobbyisfree what did you think of the look of the unit with the middle doors off btw?

That's why I talked about the balance being different for different people. If it was me I'd keep the doors on. Use stereo sound for "daytime tv" (the news) or grandkids' tv then have proper sound and open doors when you're proper sat down. That's what we do now anyway with stereo during the day.

darrenhaken

I think it`s good place to start, but depending also how far one sits and will the walls be close to speakers then etc. There has been many cases where people have put the speakers too narrow and when asked to try widen them it has sounded way better. Ideally not pushing them wider than the distance you sit from though. It`s easy to try and go by ear.

Great! I was going to say the tv looks so tiny. :) 77" without doubt if you can afford it! People always think it will be too big. But the truth is it will look large one week and then your eyes will get used to it.

For 80" 4K tv optimal watching distance 6,7-10 feet. So 2-3meters. I think 77" could be just spot on. I had 106" fixed screen and couch 3meters away, it was 1080p though. Started to feel normal soon and then dreaming of 120".. :laugh:
I'm 2.4m away from the TV (I think). So 77" would work for that then?

My main concern is how high the midpoint will be on the TV and actual TV channels looking absolutely awful. Not to mention how expensive it is...I'd have to convince myself I won't buy a new TV for 10 years!

Dobbyisfree

We went from 50" to our 65". Looked big for a few days. Then after a couple of films so wish we had got bigger. Especially ones with crappy black bars!
We're 4.5m to screen.

Dobbyisfree

As a warning... with 50" we were fine. When we got 65" hard to tolerate 720p or lower. Looks rubbish.
To be honest Euro 2020 in 1080 was a bit sh*t.

darrenhaken

That's why I talked about the balance being different for different people. If it was me I'd keep the doors on. Use stereo sound for "daytime tv" (the news) or grandkids' tv then have proper sound and open doors when you're proper sat down. That's what we do now anyway with stereo during the day.
Do you think it looks a bit weird then with the doors off?

I had considered exactly what you said but I wasn't sure as the doors look rather large when opened.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
What is your seating layout? First question to ask is do you really need a Centre and is no Centre better than a compromised Centre!

Joe

Dobbyisfree

Do you think it looks a bit weird then with the doors off?

I had considered exactly what you said but I wasn't sure as the doors look rather large when opened.

I know people don't often talk about aesthetics on here but, in my opinion, you've the chance to make it look "less cluttered" for most of the day.

Good comment from @Joe Fernand try it out without a centre :)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Sitting straight on and only having the three seats I would give the 'no Centre' option a try out.

Joe

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Is wall mounting the TV an option?
Then you could sit the centre on top of the cabinet without any kind of bridge and make sure the bottom of the TV clears it.

darrenhaken

Is wall mounting the TV an option?
Then you could sit the centre on top of the cabinet without any kind of bridge and make sure the bottom of the TV clears it.
This is 100% an option. I actually have a wall mount for the TV, it used to be mounted before I moved house a few months ago.

There's two things I'm concerned about with doing it.

Unsure whether this makes the TV too high:
My unit is 75cm height, centre speaker is 20cm. This would mean the bottom of the TV would have to be about 100cm in height.

At the moment the TV is probably 80cm - 75cm plus 5cm stand (could be taller) and when seated I'm about 1/3 up the screen rather than the optimal eyes being at the mid point.

I had considered mounting and tilting down a little.

Planning to fit a 65" (maybe 77):
This would be in a year or two but I was concerned this would require changing the mounting position.

Any thoughts to the above?

Roohster

Distinguished Member
This is 100% an option. I actually have a wall mount for the TV, it used to be mounted before I moved house a few months ago.

There's two things I'm concerned about with doing it.

Unsure whether this makes the TV too high:
My unit is 75cm height, centre speaker is 20cm. This would mean the bottom of the TV would have to be about 100cm in height.

At the moment the TV is probably 80cm - 75cm plus 5cm stand (could be taller) and when seated I'm about 1/3 up the screen rather than the optimal eyes being at the mid point.

I had considered mounting and tilting down a little.

Planning to fit a 65" (maybe 77):
This would be in a year or two but I was concerned this would require changing the mounting position.

Any thoughts to the above?

100 cm is slightly high but not necessarily a no-no. You could try mocking it up by sitting the TV on top of something placed on top of the unit temporarily, just to see if it bothers you.

As for changing your tv in the future, you could plan for this in advance by finding out the mounting holes position on whatever TV you're considering. The good news is that a lot of modern screens seem to have the holes toward the bottom of the screen and there doesn't seem to be a huge difference of position if you go up a size.

lg.JPG

A lot of TV wall mounts have an adjustment for height as well.. here's the one I have and the outer vertical sections give quite a decent range of adjustment.

bra.jpg

Last edited:

darrenhaken

100 cm is slightly high but not necessarily a no-no. You could try mocking it up by sitting the TV on top of something placed on top of the unit temporarily, just to see if it bothers you.

As for changing your tv in the future, you could plan for this in advance by finding out the mounting holes position on whatever TV you're considering. The good news is that a lot of modern screens seem to have the holes toward the bottom of the screen and there doesn't seem to be a huge difference of position if you go up a size.

View attachment 1543720

A lot of TV wall mounts have an adjustment for height as well.. here's the one I have and the outer vertical sections give quite a decent range of adjustment.

View attachment 1543722
Can you give me a link for your wall mount?

I bought the official LG mount for my LG OLED B7 because it was the first TV I'd encountered with the mount points at the bottom. A lot of mounts I looked at would protrude below the TV - not ideal!

When I do upgrade my TV it will be to a 65" or 77" OLED (probably 65 due to cost). I imagine they'll have a consistent mounting point position - at the bottom.

I had thought about stacking the TV onto some books on either side of the centre channel to give it a spin.

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Here's the one I used, it's built like a tank and was pretty easy to install.
Amazon product

bookle

+1 for no centre, huge improvement to the whole experience ime - setup the front pair well and your dialogue will sound like it’s direct from your screen.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton