1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre Speaker Position

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Guy10, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Guy10

Guy10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

For the last 5 years I've had a 32" Sony CRT, Sony DVD, Denon (5.1) amp, B&W speakers and Yamaha sub in our living room, but all placed at compromised positions based on room layout, shelves, fireplace etc etc.

Now have the opportunity to have dedicated TV/HC room. Have moved all audio stuff in there, and am currently playing around in an empty room with position of speakers.

Have read quite a few articles, but currently have layout very similar to:

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html

And I must say it sounds much better than before. The rear surrounds particularly are very good and, at "ear level" the separation of front left and right is much better.

Today I've ordered a Plasma to be wall mounted. I understand the best position for this is to place the rear of the plasma at eye level.

...which leads me to the centre speaker......I've played with this a little and have found quite a difference in overall sound, but there doesn't appear to be much written on the placement of this speaker...most articles say "just place it above/below the screen". I've tried it JUST below eye level and the whole effect was very brash/bright. Currently have it about 6 inches off the floor and it's much better......but are there anymore guidelines/ideas to improve the overall sound?......Is it better above the screen, or - if below......any guidelines on height?

Thanks

Guy

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    As a general rule of thumb you want the 3 front speakers to be at the same level to give the best sound stage - if you have a plasma wall mounted plasma this is generally easier to do than with a CRT screen.

With my setup (a crt screen for now) I cannot do this and after testing the system with the centre above and below the TV screen I found that below sounded slightly better (and she who must be obeyed thought it looked better)