1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre speaker position

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Sprocket, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Sprocket

Sprocket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm new to all this but have now spent 3 nights learning loads off this site - thanks!
    quick question -is the centre speaker best placed above the tv or below ?

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Both work as well as each other in my experience but underneath the tv can look better. As long as the speaker is magnetically shielded it doesn't really matter.

Mylo :)

3. Sprocket

Sprocket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks
    Yes it is shielded but as tv and speaker are to be built into eaves space of an upstairs room it will look ok either way but I have to decide before cutting the hole in the wall!

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    As mylo says, both work reasonably well. Apparently below works best but I've never had a chance to try it myself. I would expect your seating position to be more important, that is that the centre speaker should be roughly in line with your forward pair and that the tweeters of that should be around your normal ear level.

In my opinion personal preference and how it fits in the room is more important than exactly where the best acoustic position is (which varies between each room and layout I'm afraid). :)

5. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    In the furure if you get a wall hanging display or projector you should put it on a dedicated stand, tightens up the sound remarkably.