1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre Speaker Placement!!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by joust, Apr 1, 2003.

1. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi All,

I have had sign off to buy and install a projector from the wife :D , but now have a problem with my centre speaker. The screen will be installed across the chimney (in which there is a working coal fire!). The current setup that I have is mission 773e fronts and a mission 77c1 centre. I have room below the intended screen installation (in height terms) to mount the speaker, however, I am short on depth - the mantlepiece comes only to about 2/3rds of the depth of the centre speaker! The other problem then is WAF - the 77c1 is not exactly small, and will look ugly across the mantlepiece.

So question is, what do I do? I don't think that I can get away with using the 77c1 on the mantlepiece, but I can't afford to upgrade the front three speakers. Could I get away with using a KEF egg, or and A Gallo nucleus for the centre - would these match with my fronts tonally?

Are there any other options to consider?

Thanks in advance.

Joust

2. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    You could take a look at the Mission M7C1 which is a slimline speaker and probably a better match for your front Missions. It's only a few inches in depth and will happily sit on a mantlepiece or can be mounted directly onto the wall.

Regards,

Dodgy Geezer

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't know the answer to your question but I do know that it is not the above quote.

One alternative might to get rid of your front pair and have three KEF Eggs or Gallo Balls

4. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joust,
    As promised a few words from me.
    To be perfectly honest, your 77c1 does not correctly match the 773e's anyway. The reasons for this have been explained many times in the past but briefly, even with identical drivers, a floorstander will never have the same tonality as a centre speaker which is usually many times smaller. Different internal volumes, different "flavours".

As regards to you suggestion of using a Kef Egg or Gallo as a centre speaker, I'd say that adding a totally alien speaker for surround effects channels is often just about acceptable especially if the said speaker is fairly neutral. However, adding something like this to the front soundstage will stick out like a proverbial sore thumb.

As Ian mentioned, in your case, you're better off with three matching compact speakers as L/C/R across your front soundstage.

5. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. Eric, I thought that that would be the answer (but worth asking though). However, what do you think about the idea of using a Mission m7c1 - is the tonality of that speaker going to be vastly diffrerent to my fronts (or should I say within the same sort of limits as my current centre [and yes I had noticed the tonality difference of my fronts to the centre])?

Joust

6. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Would it not be possible to chase the speaker into the wall BEHIND the screen?? (providing it is perforated of course)

Steve.

7. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi Steve,

Unfortunately not :( There is a back boiler located within the chimney powered by the coal fire - so chasing in is not an option. Thanks for the suggestion tho'.

Joust

8. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Isn't that a bad place for a screen all that heat and it might not stop clean for long.

9. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i use the mission 77c1 with 2 pairs of 773 e,s and i have no problems, also both these sets are award winners and in the words of what hi fi in a review they said 77c1 will work well with almost any design of main front speaker,AND IS AT ITS BEST WITH OTHER MISSIONS IN THE 77, SERIES ESPECIALLY THE 773E,S.