Question Centre Speaker Placement

Nevaborn

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I have my tv on a stand with no room for a centre speaker in front without obstructing the tv. I could possibly for it in a shelf below to the left however I know this is not ideal but could it work if I angle it and calibrate accordingly. Or should I try to raise the to up on an additional stand. ( probably block of wood ).

My center is unfortunately only 6/8" off the floor which ive managed to angle up and pointed at ear level using a laptop cooling fan stand which works fine!! Not the best but it does sound pretty good once eq'd..................Or even this could work FELLOWES Go Riser Laptop Stand - Black

Not sure how much effect putting it side ways would have, but mine is also very low and angled up by using half cut of pipe insulator/jacket, looks fine and sound fine.

Do the best that you can with the centre speaker. Most have it under the TV or screen and I'm no exception to this. What we are trying to do is lock the dialogue to the screen and the person speaking. Given that most people's heads on screen are about two thirds up that screen, it's a difficult thing to achieve. So this is where angling the speaker comes into play, just do the best that you can and test it out with each position that you try.

If you think about it, most TV's are compromised in this respect. Most TV's speakers are at the bottom of the screen.

I have come to a crappy realisation with this to stand that the AV receiver won't fit under and I am not sure the centre speaker will either.

I have BX2's and need a new Centre, is there a smaller profile centre speaker that would work well with BX2's. That or I may have to seriously look to get like half a railway sleep to raise my TV up.

Will see how it goes.

Don't forget your AVR needs room to breath or it will die on you fast.

Yea I have decided to set the AVR to the side on a little table at the moment. Lots of work before everything looks nice.

Yes i think your display and tv units take some real extra thought to be able to accommodate large amps and center speakers! It would be much less of an issue if we could all afford motorised AT screens:(

Yea, I would wall mount but that would screw up my 3D viewing. It is a tough balence tbh. If only the centre speaker could be smaller than say the BX Centre ( and more available now ) I could make it work. I think.

How close are your Front LR to the sides of the TV?

If relatively close try setting the AVR to 'No' Centre and run with dialogue mixed into the Front LR.

Joe

Placing a centre speaker either in or on a TV cabinet is far from ideal. On top, pulled forward so proud of the front of the unit and on an foam isolation pad is the best option but still not ideal. I would certainly not put a centre speaker in a cabinet. I used to have my centre in my cabinet and thought it sounded good. However, when I wall mounted the TV and then wall mounted the centre under the TV the improvement in sound was quite marked and I then realised that the in cabinet sound was not that good. As Joe says you may be better having no centre at all than a poorly positioned one.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom