1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre Speaker Placement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by scrapbook, Oct 14, 2004.

1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Where is the best place for the centre speaker, above or below TV?

My one looks kinda ugly on top of the TV so am looking at avenues of getting it below the TV. How low can you go with the speaker below the TV before the sound sounds as though it isnt coming from the screen?

WIth my set up I would have to put it at least 30cm below the bottom of the TV.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I think the generally recommended idea is to have the centre below the TV although it's generally not feasible. Closest I've come was having it on the floor last year which sounded a bit rubbish (admittedly the front L&R were practically adjacent to it and also on the floor).

30cm is quite a long way to have it below but people have had some sucess angling there's towards them. Pointing it downwards is easy enough with a doorstop but obviously that would look a bit daft if it was sticking out the front to point the speaker upwards. Maybe someone else has an idea for it though aside from the obvious DIY job.

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    It also depends on what amp your using as Yamaah have a nice little option called dialog lift that assigns some of the centres duties to the fronts and presence speakers to raise the height of the dialogue and it works very well when i had my centre under the tv. Now i have mine mounted on top of the tv. Not very WAF but shes not to bothered about it (yet);)