1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre Speaker Placement

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by creative-av, Jul 3, 2004.

1. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hi All,

I have posted a similar question in the DIY forum but am having no joy so I though you guys might help :lease:

If you have a ceiling mounted pj, firing onto a screen that is hanging infront of your chimney breast, where do most people place their centre speaker? The problem is we have a fire but no mantle piece. This means that I have a Kef Egg attached on the chimney breast and it sticks out like a sore thumb :thumbsdow

Its no problem when the screen is down as you can't see the speaker. So, should I chase out the chimney breast to create a hole for the speaker to rest in, Should I change the centre speaker for a in-ceiling one or do we just have to put up with it :mad:

I would prefer to keep the egg as we have the 2005.2 system and I would like all the same speakers.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,098
    Can u post a pic? It might help us see the situation better.

Probably not a solution you'd like, but you could always try a flat panel speaker which hangs on the wall like a picture. As you can put a picture in it, it will look a lot more acceptable than the egg.

Tonaly it may be different, but as you're having it behind the screen (is it perforated), there's probably a small change in the sound anyway. My center is of a completely different brand to my stereo pair, but when a movie is playing, I can honestly say I don't hear the difference.

Richer Sounds do the NXT speakers for £99 a pair (plus mini-sub) IIRC (I know you only want one...), and you can take it back if it doesn't suit you within 14days.

Hetre's a link to a pic of them:

http://www.habitek.co.uk/Habitek2001EC/itm00045.htm

Gary.

3. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Thanks Gary.

Will post a pic on Monday as my girlfriend has the digital camera at the mo and she is away.

Screen at the mo is just a blackout blind from B&Q. Will be looking to install a slimline DRH screen in the ceiling void when I have time!

steve