Centre Speaker placement - TV Riser?

grubbstar

Standard Member
Hi All

I have a slight quandry... I am just moving into a new rented place that already has an AV stand for the TV. However, it has no shelf available for my centre speaker (a Mordaunt Short 905i) as it has just a drawer in the middle, and the shelves either side are full of Onkyo amp and PS3/Xb360/Wii'.

As I am thinking that placing the TV (a couple of year old Samsung 37" that weighs around 17kg) on top of the actual speaker would be a bad idea, I'm thinking that I would need some sort of riser unit that will lift the TV 20odd cm off the base surface, and allow me to put the Centre speaker under it (something like a scaled up desktop monitor riser, but preferably made out of wood to fit in a bit better). Something like this from Ikea would be good, but ideally I'd like it in dark Walnut to match the unit already there.
HTML:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70128203

Does anyone know of anywhere that sells such a thing off the shelf, or am I likely to need to either have a go at DIY, or get something bespoke made?

Thanks for your help!

Steve

bluedroog

Could you not used the one picture cut to size and stained accordingly? A tenner and an hour of your time.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Many of the companies that make modular AV equipment stands also make single risers to expand those stands, a few can be seen here at SuperFi -

HiFi Racks at Superfi Online - http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/category.cfm/category/273

Though, they are certainly more expensive than the IKEA you linked to.

I would think you could go to almost any general merchandise store and find a basic table that you could, as BlueDroog suggest, cut down to size.

Also, assuming you have some basic handyman skill and some tools, making a shelf would not be that hard. For example, many building supply stores have prefinished shelves. Get a shelf in the style you like say roughly 10" x 18", then get one more shelf of say 8" x 20". Cut the smaller shelf in half and use it as the legs for the larger shelf. Get some L-Brackets to screw everything together and you are done.

Still the IKEA table is only £10, for that you could certainly modify it to make a shelf easy enough.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Jamie

Distinguished Member
How about the other way round, I used the VESA mounts on the back of my TV to construct a shelf to have my speaker above my TV on its stand.

Not my thread but William describes what I mean here Which I shamelessly copied with a few odds and sods I had in my garage. My lash up was a temp measure when I got my current speakers and the centre was far bigger than my previous and didn't fit my rack. Within a month I'd wall mounted the TV, used the top of the AV rack for my centre and completely rearranged the room but you get the idea

Last edited:
How about the other way round, I used the VESA mounts on the back of my TV to construct a shelf to have my speaker above my TV on its stand.

Not my thread but William describes what I mean here Which I shamelessly copied with a few odds and sods I had in my garage. My lash up was a temp measure when I got my current speakers and the centre was far bigger than my previous and didn't fit my rack. Within a month I'd wall mounted the TV, used the top of the AV rack for my centre and completely rearranged the room but you get the idea

I wall mounted my TV to allow space for the centre speaker on the top shelf in the end too.:laugh:

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I wall mounted my TV to allow space for the centre speaker on the top shelf in the end too.:laugh:

Yes I noticed when I went searching for your thread. Twas a good idea though.

Paulando

Like the OP, I've just bought a Mordaunt Short 905i to use alongside my 902i fronts, and to replace the MS304 that I have at the moment. Stupidly, I didn't check before I bought it, but it doesn't even begin to fit in the centre shelf of my Ikea Oppli TV stand :facepalm:

It's about 5 cm too wide (I had no idea it would be so big, I just assumed it would fit), so I'm thinking of ways to keep it without having to replace the TV stand, which I'm quite fond of.

Moving the internal 'slats' in the Oppli slightly to the left and right won't be possible, as then my amp won't fit, and I guess putting my TV (42" G10) on top of the speaker would be a big no-no. The only cost effective solution I can think of is to cut off a bit of the legs on the cheap TV stand the OP linked to, so the speaker sits under it, put the TV on top, and then put the whole lot on top of the Oppli (I'm renting so can't wall mount my TV, and I think it'll be too big to make a shelf and put it above my TV).

It's going to really ugly though, isn't it? :(

panasonicvieratxp42g10p.jpg

0104067pe250715s4.jpg

mordauntshortavant905ic.jpg

27385pe082595s4.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom