1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

centre speaker output with dvds constant need to adjust is this normal?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mick23, Jul 10, 2002.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    system set up to -75db with spl ,have set sub level lower,played r2 u571, but found i had to keep adjusting center speaker volume to hear what was being said quite a few times during the film, (using the remote) if i play u571 through tosh tv only using its inbuilt front and center speaker i can more or less leave volume level alone, just find it a bit annoying to constanley have to adjust volume on amp to hear speech without trying to figure out what is being said, it seems all the speech is recorded at a far lower level than other parts of the films thank you

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    It does´nt hurt to turn up the centre channel by a couple of db. The other alternative is to use the Dynamic Range Compression on one of its settings. When a disc is playing, press the surround parameter button on the front panel and then select the level of compression of you want, OFF, LOW, MID, HIGH.

This limits the volume between the quietest and loudest sounds and stops the need for turning the volume up & down every five minutes.

3. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    jase do you use the dynamic range compressin & if so what is the best level to use i find it annoying to have the volume quite loud to here the dialogue and surrounds only for an action scene to start and your eardrums nearly burst, is setting it to mid the best option, also i think you can only use dynamic range compression with dolby digital & not dts is this correct.

4. Harold Corbet

Harold Corbet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mick,
    Can you tell us a little about your system

Harry

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    chic

I tend to leave it off as I´ve never had to struggle to hear the dialogue in my current system. My old Denon 3801 which my father´s got we either leave it off or use MID depends if its late at night or not.

The bizarre thing I found out is DRC does work on some DTS discs, strange, as I originally thought it was only for Dolby Digital. Checked the R1 DTS version of the Rambo Trilogy (Rambo 3) and you can enable DRC, checked a couple of others and it wont let you select it (Fifth Element Superbit, Rush Hour 2).

Presumably it has something to do with how the disc is encoded:confused:

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may sound a little obvious, but have you tried turning the overall volume up a little?

Setting the speakers to 75db is setting them to the reference level for DD. If you then turn the overall volume down, the dynamics do change... with the centre usually 'disappering' into the mix more than other speakers.

Or maybe you're listening to everything at 75db/reference level and have gone deaf, hence not being able to make out the dialigue :)

7. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    tosh 282 w/screen tv
    denon 3802 a/v
    cdm1nt fronts
    lcr60 center
    600s3 surround
    tosh sd110e dvd player

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,932
    sometimes this is the intended effect.

Must say though, i don't suffer from the "turning up and down" of volume during the film.