1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre speaker on hifi rack??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by daninthemix, Mar 4, 2003.

1. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do any of you have any comments about placing my centre speaker on the top shelf of my Sound Organisation hifi rack, with the DVD player on the one below?

Obviously I'm thinking vibration/microphony etc, but that's what you spend money on a hifi rack to get rid of, Shirley?

Anyone?

2. eddiea

eddiea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dan

I've had my Centre on top of my Soundstyle XS310 (now for sale)
    for about a year now, but I had a pleasant surprise when I put it on two Atacam Nexus 7 mass loaded stands and Whow what a difference to the overall sound of my system the best I've ever heard.

You could try it on your rack then on stands and see for yourself.
    :smashin:

3. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    i have an m&k s125c sat on my mezzo soprano rack with all my av gear on the rack below - i think it looks a lot better like this rather than the speaker on the tv. Oh, and it doesn't sound too bad either;)

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Lots of av stand manufacturers are making this part of their sales pitch - take a look at stands unquie or optimum web sites and you'll see the speaker pictured on the rack.

My Quadraspire rack is built like a tank so I'm happy to have the speaker (kef Q9c) on a shelf but I wouldn't have it on a shelf with anything else

5. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah sorry peeps, what i meant was - is it going to have a bad effect on the DVD player? Logic says yes, but then again there's no getting away from acoustic vibration really and how much of a difference are we talking?

I kindof have to make a decision about the layout of my room, then purchase appropriate cable lengths and so on based on that. So I can't really 'try' this arrangement at the mo.

6. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends what results you are getting, but in general I would not put it there!

Speakers sitting on top of playback and amplifying gear are not usually good news - unless you run at a low volume or have insulating material under them.

What are your other options?

7. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't really have other options because at the moment I am lusting for expensive speaker cable which requires keeping distances between kit and speakers to minimum. If I do it, I think I'll move the DVD player a few shelves away!