Centre Speaker of different brand ok?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by MrScruff, Mar 7, 2006.

1. MrScruff

MrScruff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is having a difference one is better than having no centre speaker?

2. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Bit like children really, if theyre from the same family they'll (usually) get on. If theyre from differant families they may or may not.:D
    A lot of people prefer to have a good pair of stereo speakers and run phantom mode for the centre channel. Its certainly better than having a poor quality centre speaker which in movies carries most of the dialogue.

3. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Yeah, get a good one, but don't woory to much about the matching. After falling for this myself i bought the matching Kef unit to mine. £270 later, i don't have a better sounding speaker IMO. Well maybe a bit better, but the old one was a years old wharfdale i got for £40!

Also don't think the matching is important. I have been without my IQ7 for over a week and running the IQ6c with my Missions and even though i tried, I can't tell a huge difference with panning shots etc (which are supposed to be the killer). And they are totally different speakers...

4. Jammyb

Jammyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +576
    before I had matching speakers I always tried to get ones that I thought would probably have similar tonal characteristics, so if my fronts had metal domed tweeters I tried to get a center to match, this may have been rubbish :p

If it's not gonna match then you can probably get a really good quality center for very little money on Ebay as there always seem to be a few, makes a huge difference to dialogue over using a phantom mode imo.

5. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    I think its called "timbre matching" when the sound pans across the sound stage, left to right & front to rear. Timbre matched speakers of the same make will sound convincing, others will just make noise that moves.

6. MrScruff

MrScruff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But the centre is designed exclusively for dialogue and the 4 other speakers are for the wizzy stuff!?

7. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    Remember that the center speaker can carry up to around 70% of a films soundtrack, and a hell of a lot more is pumped through it that just dialogue.

Turn down or disconnect all of the other speakers and you'll see what i mean.

My XQ2C is a total overkill for the Kef egg's i used to use, and now even for the Q4's. I can't tell the difference when panning but i suppose they use similar drivers, although twice as big :D

Steve

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    No it isn't. The centre speaker is designed to sound as close as possible to the main speakers in the same manufacturer's range but is a different shape as many people need to perch it on top of the TV or on a shelf underneath it

9. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Dialogue can come from any channel, depending where the person talking is in relation to the camera. This is one reason why matching speakers is important. The 'whizzy' stuff can also come from any channel.

This is why M&K use the same speaker across all 3 front channels, as you get a more believable soundstage. This is how it's mixed in studios.

10. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    one reason i'm likely to stick with my MA Silver S series speakers, the centre ghosts in perfectly pretty much with the fronts......in fact tbh all the speakers in my setup work amazingly well at helping you forget there are speakers at certain points in the room....obviously some sounds are supposed to come from a point where the speaker is and the physical presence of the speaker anchors that itself, but with the lights off and my eyes firmly fixed on the screen, the rear soundfield i get is amazing, but also the front to back sensation works lovely......but mostly its the front, there really isnt 3 speakers there, its just one glorious 12ft wide speaker.....heh

however in my previous setup of Wharfedale Diamond 7.3's plus a similar budget level Gale Centre speaker, similar driver technology going on, but different construction to the cabinets, mostly on the size side of things, and it was obvious where the sound was coming from.....i even tried that setup briefly on my Denon amp in case it was just the sherwood wasnt much cop, but nope, still very little cohesion......

oh well, mebbe i'm just fussy, or i'm full of placebo ;-)