Centre Speaker Mounting - My Solution!

I have a 46" LCD TV and there is really no room on the AV stand immediately below for the Tannoy FC Custom speaker. I also didn't want to mount the TV on the plasterboard wall and for the same reason wanted to avoid screwing a shelf to the wall.

My solution, I bought some suitably sized right angled galvanised steel with slots for bolt holes and when cut to length bolted them to the VESA mounting holes on the rear of the TV.

I then bolted an L shaped bracket to the top of each upright and screwed both to the underside of a length of Maple chipboard.

The top of the shelf is the same height as the top of the screen surround and for me is ideal.:smashin:

Last edited:
DSC00617.jpg

DSC00618-1.jpg

I have not applied Iron on strip to the edges of the chipboard as I intend returning to B&Q tomorrow with the remainder of the chipboard to get another piece cut to length, their cutting service was closed when I bought it. I want nice edges to apply the matching strip as my sawing is ****.:D

Also the shelf is level (honest) the picture makes it appear to slope backwards :eek:.

I also would have liked the edge of the speaker to be in line with the screen but unfortunately Sony locate the TV controls at the top centre (You can see them in the second picture).

Last edited by a moderator:
Very neat - looks much better than the ones you get that hook over the front of the screen, proabaly more secure too!

Chris

Thanks, that Tannoy speaker is quite heavy compared to my previous one.

EDIT - All materials sourced from B&Q.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Whats the bottom of the angle iron attached too? Have you bolted it to an AV rack or unit?

Whats the bottom of the angle iron attached too? Have you bolted it to an AV rack or unit?

No, the slot in the angle iron bottoms out on the lower VESA bolt either side. Its my "belief" that the two bolts per side and mounting holes could handle the weight of the speaker + shelf.

I could have extended them down further to transfer the weight onto the top shelf of the AV unit (the TV stand would have hidden them) but it wasn't in my original plan.

I should add that Vocal dialogue is more audible now in quiet DVD scenes. This was the bane of my life when the speaker was on the bottom shelf of the AV unit. Calibration which formerly set it at 0dB now sets it at at -2.5dB and its still more audible.

Last edited:

balidey

Distinguished Member
thats what I'm building now, infact I posted a question about it a few days ago asking if there was an 'off the shelf' (pun intended) solutuion.

But mine is having outrigger arms to the side to take my side speakers too

Paulando

This is excellent! I need something exactly like this as I have no where to put a centre speaker now my TV isn't wall-mounted. I also have a Sony LCD, so the top looks very similar, but I never use the buttons on the top of the TV.

It's amazing you can't buy anything like this :suicide:

adamdodsworth

Can I ask what size bolts are used for the VESA holes?

jwyg

excellent - was pondering how to do this for when i get my tannoys and tv - much better than plonking the tv on top of the FC! :D

Nice solution, how are you finding the Tannoys as an all round package?

I am very pleased with them, after the Sony HTIB speakers I w2as using they sound fantastic.

They are now paired with a Tannoy TS10 sub and we are all very happy.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
DSC00617.jpg

DSC00618-1.jpg

I have not applied Iron on strip to the edges of the chipboard as I intend returning to B&Q tomorrow with the remainder of the chipboard to get another piece cut to length, their cutting service was closed when I bought it. I want nice edges to apply the matching strip as my sawing is ****.:D

Also the shelf is level (honest) the picture makes it appear to slope backwards :eek:.

I also would have liked the edge of the speaker to be in line with the screen but unfortunately Sony locate the TV controls at the top centre (You can see them in the second picture).

On Sunday I made almost the same thing! except that I did the whole of mine in MDF, cut a peice around 100mm larger all round than the 200mm Vesa Mounting holes to this I screwed a shaped platform for the Kef IQ6 to sit on with an angled brace from the platform screwed & glued to the bolt on MDF backplate.

The Kef IQ6 weighs just under 20 pounds & my wife was convinced it would tip the TV over backwards (I knew it would'nt) but to keep her happy I screwed a stabalising arm to the rear of the brace to touch the wall behind.:smashin:

lozza23_uk

what a cracking idea!

Just re-doing my front room, and centre speaker placement (i.e. tv unit) has really been playing on my mind!

This is a brilliant solution, fancy making 100-500 of them?
standard vesa template or something? in black/rosewood/maple/pine etc to suit peoples existing furniture.

I reckon there is a market for it.

lozza23_uk

No, the slot in the angle iron bottoms out on the lower VESA bolt either side. Its my "belief" that the two bolts per side and mounting holes could handle the weight of the speaker + shelf.

You wouldn't believe the stuff I have seen bolted down with small bolts, I think 2 a side will provide plenty of support. The shear force shouldn't cause a problem (as you have forces pulling towards the wall). And the mount will be fine as it is made to take the weight of the screen anyway.

howardlamby

Thanks for the idea, i have just made a similar shelf and my Partner says it looks much better, I cant think why I didn't think of it myself...cheers:thumbsup:

k13 wjd

i know what im doing tomorrow !!

i have a 42" LG..with tannoy 5.1 ( Mercury F4 floorstanders x4, 625 alf sub, and F4 centre)

always seemed like the dialouge was too low, clearly noticible when playing the PS3...........my floorstander tweeters are a full 3 feet above my centre channel...time for that to be rectumified !

Chinstroke

I was looking to but the QAV speakers but as I have a Panasonic Plasma on a floorstand I wasn't sure how to mount it. I however stumbled across this thread and found my solution.
What I did was cut to length a couple of shelving uprights which I attached to the TV Vesa mounts. I then got a piece of chipboard which I then mounting the speaker to.
TV007.jpg

TV006.jpg

TV008.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution