Centre speaker matching KEF R500's

whitehart

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've been using B&W CC6 as a central speaker for a long time - before with Wharfedale Glendale old school speakers, and now with KEF R500's however I'm currently looking to see if i can get a better match for my floorstanders, that are around the CC6 size
The KEF centre is to large for my setup the centre max height can be 180mm and width 500mm, depth not an issue. Anyone know of a decent centre that fits my sizing. I know the HTM6 B&W will prob fit - but was wondering if there are others? many thanks

Monitor Audio Silver C150 fits size-wise, not sure about how the sound would blend in with the R500's.

Your fronts are really nice, why compromise on a centre channel - is it with changing the AV stand to accommodate the matching KEF centre?

I've been using B&W CC6 as a central speaker for a long time - before with Wharfedale Glendale old school speakers, and now with KEF R500's however I'm currently looking to see if i can get a better match for my floorstanders, that are around the CC6 size
The KEF centre is to large for my setup the centre max height can be 180mm and width 500mm, depth not an issue. Anyone know of a decent centre that fits my sizing. I know the HTM6 B&W will prob fit - but was wondering if there are others? many thanks

I doubt B&W would sound anywhere close to Kef R-range and you are also looking too cheap models to begin with. HTM 72 S2 from B&W would be similar level to R-range, but won´t sound same.

Kef Q250c is 525mm wide and 180mm tall, bit too large. One option would be to buy used pair of R100 and use one turned laying horizontally. It uses the same UniQ driver which is on the R500. If you don´t listen very loud then this would be closest tonal match. The width becomes height when turned which is 180mm so should fit. Ebay has one white and black gloss pairs (300-400£).

I doubt B&W would sound anywhere close to Kef R-range and you are also looking too cheap models to begin with. HTM 72 S2 from B&W would be similar level to R-range, but won´t sound same.

Kef Q250c is 525mm wide and 180mm tall, bit too large. One option would be to buy used pair of R100 and use one turned laying horizontally. It uses the same UniQ driver which is on the R500. If you don´t listen very loud then this would be closest tonal match. The width becomes height when turned which is 180mm so should fit. Ebay has one white and black gloss pairs (300-400£).
That's a great idea!

Thanks for that I've had a look and not sure if it would look right, surprisingly the CC6 isnt terrible with the KEF's, I'm driving them quite strongly as the B&W centres always need to be tbh. if there was a KEF centre that could fit Id be all over it lol

Last edited:
Failing that, I have a pair of excellent B&W 603 that I could swap for your KEF R500, then your problem becomes my problem. Happy to help 😄

worst case i could buy a KEF 250c and put it above the screen but i'd rather not tbh

Thanks for that I've had a look and not sure if it would look right, surprisingly the CC6 isnt terrible with the KEF's, I'm driving them quite strongly as the B&W centres always need to be tbh. if there was a KEF centre that could fit Id be all over it lol

R100 should look fine, the only nitpick could be that tiny logo thing on top. But it sounds like you are putting the speaker inside cabinet so it`s even less noticeable. Just look below how good full LS50 system looks, the center channel is laying just the way you would do with R100. And as Kef uses the coaxial UniQ driver design it means you don´t get negative effect laying the speaker horizontally.

HxVzmSiETKJ0l-nkMU55RFxueTOHy1hC_e2unPJbEOY.jpg

cj8TWKA.jpg

yeah it does look nice - yes it needs to go into a cabinet - starting to hate my cabinet tbh, everything needs to look wife friendly and im restricted, the CC6 S2's actually look good as well in the cabinet. I was thinking of maybe a riser to put on my low profile cabinet that would allow a KEF speaker underneath and fit a 55 inch TV on top

it needs to go into a cabinet
No don't do that. The centre will be reach it's potential. You will really need the R200C, but these are pretty rare. The new R2C would be a better fit timbre wise. Below is a photograph of the exact problem you are now facing and how I solved it. My wife's face was a treat. Better to ask forgiveness than permission although it did cost me a new aquarium.
169014423.3oX2AMVS._DSC4302.jpg

No don't do that. The centre will be reach it's potential. You will really need the R200C, but these are pretty rare. The new R2C would be a better fit timbre wise. Below is a photograph of the exact problem you are now facing and how I solved it. My wife's face was a treat. Better to ask forgiveness than permission although it did cost me a new aquarium.
View attachment 1468896
I saw that photo earlier - been trying to find a glass riser that would work, it needs to hold weight of a 55 inch TV samsung Q950R, Im thinking complete riser shelf long enough for the TV and heigh enough for a KEF centre on my low profile and it needs to be wife friendly :)

something like this, but ive found nothing that will fit the KEF and my TV yet - the black glass matches well with my AV cabinet

Attachments

• riser.PNG
    riser.PNG
    83.2 KB · Views: 126
something like this, but ive found nothing that will fit the KEF and my TV yet - the black glass matches well with my AV cabinet
I did look for something like that, but with clear glass. Holding the weight was a problem, at the time we had a 50'' plasma and felt it was just too heavy. TVs have got a lot lighter now. The oak worked as it blended very well with the cabinet but obviously a lot thicker than glass. As it was bespoke I had the legs made to the height to just get over the R200C.

You could use a riser just for the TV or wall mount. Wall mounting was where the wife did draw the line as my DIY skills are pretty well non existent. Put a sledge hammer or large axe in my hands and I'll knock anything down.

If you look at the photo you can see that the R300s are in fact close enough to do without a centre completely and run as a 4.1.2. Something to consider perhaps?

I did look for something like that, but with clear glass. Holding the weight was a problem, at the time we had a 50'' plasma and felt it was just too heavy. TVs have got a lot lighter now. The oak worked as it blended very well with the cabinet but obviously a lot thicker than glass. As it was bespoke I had the legs made to the height to just get over the R200C.

You could use a riser just for the TV or wall mount. Wall mounting was where the wife did draw the line as my DIY skills are pretty well non existent. Put a sledge hammer or large axe in my hands and I'll knock anything down.

If you look at the photo you can see that the R300s are in fact close enough to do without a centre completely and run as a 4.1.2. Something to consider perhaps?
I have another Idea where I just use a TV riser stand and put the centre underneath

Thanks everyone for making me realise I should get a KEF centre

R100 should look fine, the only nitpick could be that tiny logo thing on top. But it sounds like you are putting the speaker inside cabinet so it`s even less noticeable. Just look below how good full LS50 system looks, the center channel is laying just the way you would do with R100. And as Kef uses the coaxial UniQ driver design it means you don´t get negative effect laying the speaker horizontally.

HxVzmSiETKJ0l-nkMU55RFxueTOHy1hC_e2unPJbEOY.jpg

cj8TWKA.jpg
@scoobysmiff solved the logo problem rather neatly.

@scoobysmiff solved the logo problem rather neatly.

Good solution, but their combined width is too big for the OP's space requirements.

Guys I have some great news the stand now gives me up to 9 inches underneath the TV, I just bought a Kef R200c to match my R500's

thanks everyone

Only thing now is im thinking is the TV to high lol I got used to it being low hahaha - my eye level is middle of TV. Im sure I will get used to it - i could drop it down 1 inch which i may do as there is 9 inches clearance and i only need just over 7 i think for the R200c. next speakers im looking at replacing are my surrounds, as my sofa is up against a wall - i prefer Bipolar speakers (i have a narrow long livingroom something like these

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom