Centre speaker madness?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by eviljohn2, Aug 8, 2002.

1. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    As a poor student starting his dabbling on home cinema I need a centre speaker, and some bookshelf front speakers - but all must be magnetically shielded due to the small size of my room. I can't really stretch beyond £100 for the lot.

It may seem crazy, but I've noticed that centre speakers have similar specifications (on paper at least) as entry-level bookshelves in the same range plus have the benefit of being cheaper if the stock's discontinued (eg. Celestion F35C for £30 from RS).

People suggest using identical speakers for the entire frontal soundstage (eg. the Q1 thing going on in this forum), would it sound passable to use 3 centre speakers for my fronts which I could probably pick up withing my budget with the essential shielding, or should I just not bother? This is mainly for a home cinema setup as I have a seperate hifi system.

Thanks

John

2. timothyw

timothyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I also am but a poor student, so i thought i'd give you a few words. Well I have the same speakers all round, and i had the same need for magnetic shielding, and i ended up going for the AE aegis compacts- they're £55 each, small, and i'm very happy with them. If you can stretch to them, and find them, then you shouldn't be dissapointed. As with many small speakers systems though, a sub is crucial.... well in the long term anyway
    As for the idea of using centre speakers for all 3 of the front speakers, there's no reason why you shouldn't have good results for this. The only concern would be whether they will stand well on their ends, in the upward manner of a standmount speaker as compared to a centre. Of course, you could always have them flat all round. Might be an idea to demo just in case (of course it's always a good idea to demo).