1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre speaker location problem

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by andyh41, May 18, 2002.

1. andyh41

andyh41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Guys,

I'm using a linn centrik speaker sitting vertically in the centre of a custom made wooden av cabinet. The problem is a lack of dialogue clarity, and I think it's due to the location of the speaker - moving it out of the cabinet reduces the midbass and cleans up the sound. I didn't think it would be a problem to stick it in the cabinet as it's a sealed speaker, but obviously I was wrong. The front baffle has about 20mm clearance from the cabinet and there is about 20cm of space behind it with a slit cut out for the cables. It's already mounted on some Russ Andrews oak cones, so what else can I try? I'm thinking there are three options:
    1. Stick a slab of marble underneath to further isolate it
    2. Make the hole behind the speaker larger
    3. Damp the recess with some dynamat or similar

Anyone have any ideas if this will work, or any other suggestions would be great.

Cheers,

Andy.

System details:
    Cyrus AV5 processor
    Cyrus power+psxr x2 + xpa
    Linn keilidhs + centrik
    Speakers set to small with Rel Q200 on bass.

2. Chip

Chip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy,
    If you must put speakers in cabinets (and I've read posts here that its one of the worst things to do) then go for option 3, some sort of damping stuff around and behind the speaker. That should improve things.

Chip

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    1. Stick a slab of marble underneath to further isolate it

That certainly won't help. I would also opt for option 3.

4. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where could we get some of this dampening stuff?

5. AVcontroller

AVcontroller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The lack of clarity is almost certainly due to the increase in bass produced by putting the speaker into a cabinet. The cabinet will increase the lower SPL as it reverbarates and amplifiers the bottom end. This reults in the high mid being drowned out by the bass.
    Reduce the air between the centre speaker and the cabinet by filling it with dense rockwall (loft insulation) and isloate it from the cabinet with a slate or concrete base.
    The most important thing to do is tell your AV amp that the center speaker is (small). The amp will roll off any low bass going to the speaker and the important high mid will come through.
    Hope this is of help.
    Adam

6. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Don't use loose rock wool ,this stuff is bad for you.
    You must have gloves,facemask and goggles on when using it,so use the solid stuf of something with a denser fibre that wont give you lung damage.

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    andy...ideally it should be removed from the cabinet.

If you can't do that,as Reiner says,using slate or concrete(!)won't really do anything for your problem except probably demolish the cabinet.
    Dynamat,as suggested by yourself is a good solution and quite easy to apply...for john's info,a web search should find your nearest supplier,but looking at https://www.edworthys.co.uk/acatalog/DynamatSection.html should give you an idea of what the stuff is.
    I certainly wouldn't use rockwool,solid or loose in any area where it's likely to gain access to your living area....if you lined a cabinet with this,the cabinet should then be sealed around it to prevent any loose fibres escaping.....ask the people who make or distribute it.