1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre Speaker Impedance?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by hutchingsp, Dec 28, 2002.

1. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony STR-DB830 home cinema receiver.

It's hooked up to a front set of B&W DM601s and a rear set of Mordaunt Short MS05s.

Both these sets of speakers are 8ohms impedance. There is a switch on the rear of the amp to select 4ohm or 8ohm, the manual says to select four if the speakers are between 4ohm and 8ohm.

I'm now looking for a centre speaker, and I'm a little confused as to what I can buy?

Can I only get something that is 8ohm, or (as seems to be the case with a lot of centre speakers) could I attach a 6ohm centre speaker?

Specifically I'm looking at the Gale Centre 10 - cheap and nasty in absolute terms maybe, but as it's a bedroom setup for £20 I think it'll do the job.

I'm a little unsure of what the implications may be, I'd appreciate some advice or pointers.

regards
    Paul

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    You can connect a speaker rated at 6 ohm,and switch the reciever to 4 ohm.This means that the output devices will be 'throttled back' a little,to protect the unit from low impedence stress.The lower the ohmic value the greater the load placed on the amp. :)

3. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, so switch it to 4ohm even though the front and rear speakers are rated at 8ohm?

Don't wish to sound paranoid, but my B&Ws cost £200 - there's no danger of doing any harm/damage?

Paul

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    There is no danger to the speakers.It is the amp which is vulnerable which is why Sony provide this ''limiter'' switch.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I am not sure that I would agree with you as it is important that the front three integrate seamlessly and I don't think that a £20 centre speaker would.

Don't forget that 90% of most films is dialogue which would come out via the centre speaker and I feel that you may soon be complaining that your setup doesn't sound very good.

6. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, my philosophy (it may be flawed) is that I'd sooner spend £20 and try it on the basis it may sound fine than spend a couple of hundred quid and only be a little more pleased.

I did get the Centre 10, it's actually better built than I expected (I was expecting _really_ cheap and nasty) and albeit after only a couple of hours it sounds fine to me - presumably it may loosen up a little and sound different as it wears in...

Being in a bedroom the old volume dial doesn't go much beyond 9 o'clock so I don't know how it would cope with higher volumes..

If I decide to upgrade after six months I suspect I'll still get £20 for it at work, if not que cera cera...

Paul

7. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    using the gale10, the speaker would cut out if it got too much volume to protect the speaker