Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Centre speaker HELP !!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by siy, Jun 8, 2005.

1. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just moved house- but have an issue with centre speaker.

I have a Hitachi 42PD5300 fitted above a fireplace (Excellent job done by the way!).

The fronts are a pair of Mission 774's

I am changing my rears (a really nice sounding pair of Mission Dipoles) to a pair of Gallo Micro's as the Missions were to big for my missus (Doh!!!) Guess I will sell them on the board

My current centre speaker is a Mission 77C - again, I love the sound from it, just it's a bit big and boxy for my better half to be happy with!

So what can I replace it with?
    Considering a Gallo Due - just not convinced that it is gonna mix with the 774's well.

The opther issue I have that there is only about 18cm gap between the mantlepiece and the bottom of the plasma, so probably need something that will fit in that size.

Would it sound ok to get the due, mount it above the plasma, maybe from the ceiling, and angle it down??? or will that just sound wrong?

Please help as I just cannot think of a solution. Any other centres that are worth going for? but it has to be small.

Thanks guys
    Siy

2. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    I'd be really careful what you replace it with as you want soemthing that tonally matches and I can't see the gallos matching the missions.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    In this situation I'd be more inclined to just set the centre speaker to "off" in your amp settings and let your 774's do the work with a phantom centre. You won't find anything that performs as well as the 77C in a smaller box IMO. :)

Will you be selling your 77ds? ;)

4. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm..... that's what I w as beginning to think. The rear gallo's should be ok though, shouldn't they?

If I was to keep the Mission 77C centre, does anyone have any clever ideas as how/where to install it?

It just doesnt look right sat on the mantlepiece, with a 1cm gap between it and the plasma

5. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi eviljohn2 - may give that a go - just be a shame to have nothing there, as above I may just have to put up with it looking crap...any other thoughts/ideas.

Once I get the gallo rears, I may as well sell the dipoles. They are white and in good condition. Need to double check, but I think I have to put them up on the board don't I?

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It doesn't cost you anything to try the phantom centre method and it should work very well indeed if your 774's are equidistant from your display.

If you're going to sell them then you would have to put them in the forum classifieds (they should get snapped up) - I'm more interested in black but was just being curious. :)

7. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Just a thought but you may want to look at the Orb Audio Mod 1's for rears rather than the Gallos (unless you've already bought). I tested the mod1's against some A'Divas and Micros and the Mod1's were stunning for front duties let alone rear duties!

As with all things, I never got round to completing the Mod 1 set up so have 2 mod 1's which I could sell you (opportunism I know but this is not clouding my opinion of the speakers - I was amazed by the sound).

8. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks grsai, but have already purchased them through my installer...good luck with them though.

9. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok - have decided to stick with the Mission centre - which is good as it matches my fronts, and I love the sound it produces.

So back to the original problem - how best to minimize the look of them?

I used to have it buried in the wall, so it was flush and that looked great, but as it is now against a chimney breast, the installer said they cant dig the wall out there.

Any other ideas? I guess it would be wrong to mount it above the plasma...almost at ceiling height pointed downwards?

Come on guys...need a solution