1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre speaker headache - what do you do with yours?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by andypearce, Jul 7, 2005.

1. andypearce

andypearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    OK plasma owners, I'm guessing a large number of you also run 5.1 setups so my question is what do you do with the centre speaker that used to adorn the acres of space atop your old CRT? I set up my 42" PV500 and cabinet last night but am stumped what to do with my centre speaker (there's no room for it on the shelves below the plasma.) I'm surprised none of the plasma manufacturers have caught on to this as a small platform to fit on the rear would solve the problem (I wouldn't even mind spending a few quid extra for this option.)

Any help appreciated. :)

2. silentsleeper

silentsleeper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sell the cab buy a pedestal and then buy a proper av unit with space for the centre.

Bit of a pain so late in the day but its likely to be the only way especially if you have a full size speaker package :(

3. xenole

xenole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No offence, but the cabinet is designed for people who don't have a clue about home cinema etc - just your average Joe walking in off the street in Currys etc.
    Anyone who knows the slightest thing will realise that having an amp, dvd player, recorder, digibox and suchlike will not fit onto 2 smallish shelves.
    I measured up one of these a while ago and could only get my amp onto the bottom shelf if I moved the middle shelf up a bit and that left next to no room for anything else, so you end up having to pay £ more for something to put everything else in which defeats the purpose of the cabinet that is just for aesthetics anyway.
    :)

4. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a wall mounted plasma and a wall mounted centre speaker below it. There are a few centres that are wall-mountable.

Or perhaps if the cabinet is against a flat wall you could just get a shelf of some sort above the plasma to sit the centre on?

It always surprises me anyway why anyone would want to place their centre speaker (or any speaker) in a cabinet with all their A/V gear - surely a large box that vibrates cannot be that good for the rest of the gear next to it, especially with all the talk of people trying to isolate vibrations in their gear with special doo-dahs that you get in high-end hi-fi mags etc.

5. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I replaced the supplied plasma speakers drive units/ x-overs and used them as centre channels.

Works reasonably well while I wait for a wall mount kit.

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    I have all mine hidden behind a radiator cover, the centre is actually cream speaker grill cloth, it was custom made by www.jali.co.uk for £100 delivered. They have a small app to let you design it on your pc, and they do cabinets cd racks etc. etc.

I hate all the modern Ikea look these days, probably because I am getting old, and prefer a more homely feel with a discrete system. Also I tend to get away with more with my wife if I keep it looking neat, the speakers for example.

[​IMG]

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I spy a little bit of trunking there Giz.... naughty, naughty :rotfl:

Another option I fear may not work with the PV500 but worth mentioning for other readers is to go for side mounted speakers specifically made for centre speaker work. Artison for example have a pair of speakers that mount either side of the screen and give front left, right, and centre channels. You lose the ability to have proper cabinet speakers but it's a very tidy solution and they are good performing speakers. About a grand though :eek:

Some manufacturers like Hitachi and Philips I can remember allow you to configure the plasma side speakers as your centre channel. Although I don't really recommend this as it rarely matches the sound of the right and left channels, but useful for some nonetheless.

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646

I know, I have also been meaning to drop the screen approx. 5" or so, having an archway in our kitchen plastered in 2 weeks so I will do it all then and get him to skim over the hidden cables.

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    What a difference a cable makes....

[​IMG]

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    I know, I was going to do it straight away, and that was over a year ago now! :)

If you notice I still haven't taken the handles of the panel yet ready for when I move it down a bit. :)

11. andypearce

andypearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I had to ditch the VCR (but I hadn't used it for ages anyway with Sky+ doing all the recording) but besides that I managed to fit my fairly large amp , Sky+ box, DVD player, Xbox and PS2 on the cabinet with no problems and the cables management in the cabinet makes it a very tidy job. Having the cabinet was the compromise I had to make to the other half when buying it but a small price to pay. I prefer to have my centre speaker at the same or as close to the same height as the fronts anyway so placing it on an AV rack below the plasma is not an ideal solution for me.

12. DRowe

DRowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The guy that fitted my plasma cut keyhole slots into the back of the yamaha centre speaker to repicate the surround speakers. He then flush mounted the centre speaker above the TV - it looks fab!

13. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Iam afraid thats what ive had to do,Optimum do custom build so i went with the av300 mk11 with bottom shelf 11" high so i now can put all my kit on the bottom shelf and the centre on the top.