1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

centre speaker for mission m73

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by adox, Dec 6, 2002.

1. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i need a centre speaker to go with my m73 fronts. i know that the m7c1 and m7c2 are the obvious choices but can`t get my hands on them at the moment. i can pick up a 77c1 straight away,as an option. i know it is from a different range, and have read all the arguments about the tonal balance etc. but will it really be that bad? the m7c1 and m7c2 will not be available until the new year and i don`t want to wait that long. will the 77c1 do?

2. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends,my Yamaha AX2 has a centre speaker graphic equaliser that is supposed to help matching it tonally to the front pair,I tried it with the old Wharefdale Valdus I had before I got the M7C2 and I never got it to sound right!
    I was lucky to get my C2 a while back,I had to wait ages after the initial batch sold out very quickly but it was worth it.

3. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As they're all Missions they'll probably be OK, but for true tonal balance, forget centre speakers completely. I use a single m72 speaker (one model down from the m73) for the centre channel, and it's far better than when I used a supposed 'dedicated' centre speaker. All this means is that it's shaped to sit on a TV.

4. Burt

Burt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a mission M7C1 centre with my M73's - Tonally they are well matched -I am very happy with the sound quality, although I understand from other opinions on this forum that the M7C2 is a much better centre speaker - if you do go for the M7C1 I don't think you'll be disappointed.

5. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Hi

Can I ask if you have your M73's right up against a wall with the bung in the back or do you have some space behind them?

I am wondering if they sound ok when right up against a wall with the bung in?

Thanks

6. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they are slightly away from the wall so i d`ont use the bungs. i had them near the wall originally and they sounded boomey so put the bungs in and it solved the problem, but once moved slightly away from the wall you can take the bungs out and they sound better with the rear ports open.
    by the way i purchased the 77c1 at the weekend and have tried it out with a couple of films and it seems fine,so far it seems to blend well with the m73`s, although i`ve only had limited time to listen. does anyone else have this same front setup and if so, what are your opinions on it?

7. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Thanks adox

8. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    My mate has the Mission M74's and uses the Mission 77C1 (from the 77 range, obviously) for his centre and they work well together. He tried a M7C1 and it couldn't keep up with his powerful fronts too well. He has heard a M7C2 in a demo, but decided there was so little in it that he would keep his (cheaper) 77C1.

As for using a bookshelf Mission with M73's, I am about to replace my M7C1 with a Mission M71 as it has the same size woofer as my M73 floorstanders - the M72 has a bigger cone and (possibly?) will not be a perfect match. I wanted the M7C2 (must embarressingly admit I haven't demoed it, tho' it looks sweet) but it won't fit in my rack. If I get the M71's I'll have an extra speaker for centre rear duties in the future.

9. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply nobber. it`s a pity i didn`t receive this post before i purchased a centre speaker as i would have considered buying the m71`s. i`ve just bought a marantz sr4300 which has six channels, so the spare speaker would have done as a rear for me!!
    oh well, still happy with the 77c1,just have to do without a rear centre for the time being. let me know how you get on if you buy the m71`s.