1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre Speaker for Centre Rear?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by SimonG, Oct 30, 2002.

1. SimonG

SimonG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have very limited room (and available cash for this) but I have just enough to get a bin-end bargain centre speaker from Richer Sounds or similar. Would one be at all suitable for a centre rear?
    If I got a pair of rear speakers they would literally have to sit on top of each other which seems a bit of a waste.

Cheers
    Simon

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Try to get an identical one to your current surrounds speakers. If you have to get a pair then you could use the spare as a centre. Ideally all your speakers should be the same anyway.

3. SimonG

SimonG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am quite happy with 5.1 but thought seeing as I have wired for a single rear (I had the spare cable and the carpets up and a rainy Sunday) and an amp capable of it (I wanted it for its performance regardless of the sixth channel) I wondered if this would be a cheap and cheerful way of trying it out...

4. filmman

filmman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    give it a try,i picked up a cheap monitor audio centre which i use at the rear,its ok on ex encoded discs but i dont run it on non-ex discs.
    also for my denon avc11sr they say if using one rear centre it should be a normal speaker,but if you use two they should be dipoles.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    I use a B&W LCR60 S3 for my SB speaker.
    IMO this works well, but it is matched to all my other speakers. An unmatched centre may not give such a good effect, but then again surround speakers are used less and therefore should be less noticeable than unmatched front/centre.

Try it! It worked for me.