Centre Speaker Extra Compensation?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jkharmer, Sep 22, 2007.

1. jkharmer

jkharmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Do any of you set your centre speaker a few dB higher than the others to ensure you can hear it OK when listening under night time / quieter conditions. I am struggling to hear dialogue when the volume is turned down! I have calibrated all the speakers so they are even.

Thanks. James

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    I do, purely because that's how I prefer it.

You might find fiddling with the centre EQ on your amp or altering the dynamic compression (the difference between quietest and loudest parts of a soundtrack) may help things.

3. jkharmer

jkharmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks for that Badger. Will try that and see what happens. As an aside, my centre speaker sounds a little bright. I am only really comparing to a set up I had in my old hours, so everything has changed. Gone from full size speakers to sats. Amp changed, room changed etc... I think that it is just the M&K soun I have to get used to as opposed to the problem with the system. It certainly sounds more detailed and accurate, but I suppose we just like what we get used to to and it takes time to get used to things that sound different. Was thinking of maybe playing around with the treble and bass on the centre and seeing what that does. Always worth a go!

James

4. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Yep I do, have done through yamaha, pioneer, rotel and now arcam amps.

Wish they would sort that out, swmbo goes mad about it!!!!

5. cinema-man

cinema-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there

had the same problem with previous amps,but now i use a yamaha and the centre is clear all the time.:)

6. shabba2

shabba2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have the same thing using a Sherwood amp and Eltax speakers, I have to turn down the action scences and then turn it up again for the quiet voice-only parts, its really annoying. I even have the centre speaker on +6 and everything else on 0. Since I moved out and bought my flat I have to be considerate of the people below, annoying as before at home I'd just listen to it on full volume :)
    I'm definitley going detached for my next property!

7. patton

patton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yes i do, when i have all the speakers set to a level setting i strugle to hear the centre so i have it 3 levels higher and it makes a big diffrence and it sounds spot on the way its meant to sound!

8. McFaber

McFaber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I never really had a problem with previous stuff like Sony and Marantz, but now I'm with the Arcam, I've struggled to hear the centre...:(

Knock the centre level up a couple of notches and don't worry about what a purist would think.:devil:..:hiya:

9. rich m

rich m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I think you're always going to have to make slight adjustments because your room acoustics will never be perfect due to size/shape etc. I have my centre turned slightly down as i felt it was overpowering my fronts, and i am now very happy.

10. iainsilvester

iainsilvester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    If you've gone down the classic M&K route of using identical speakers for LCR the speakers should not be the cause of the problem. Is the C low, aiming at feet etc? This may make a difference, otherwise I would fiddle wih the amp EQ. My LCR are all identical. -4db but that is nothing more than to calibrate the amp volume control to reference level using auto setup.

Give the M&K sound some time, you'll never go back once you're used to it :)

11. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Same here, i used the autosetup to get the levels and stuff but once in use i pop a few extra db on the centre as it sounds better that way, although it can be annoying with action scences as said.
    Itr would be good if amps had a 'dialog boost', maybe increase the centre volume when not much is going on but voice and turn it back to normal otherwise. As DD et al have algorithms to do this for deciding what channel dialog and what ones effects should go to (and i'm talking thundercats in mono not stereo encoded dd/dpl), it shouldn't be too hard to do.

12. jkharmer

jkharmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Bit of late reply - but thanks for all the advice - ramped centre up 3 notches or so and now much better.