1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre speaker dilemma

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sunlink, Sep 23, 2003.

1. sunlink

sunlink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am building a purpose built 8m x 8m extension (home cinema lounge) that incorporates an Ingelnook fireplace. I have 52 inches above the mantle piece to accommodate my screen (48 inches high + housing) leaving 4 inches to try and house my 8 inch high centre speaker below the screen (not possible).
    Currently I am considering housing it in the ceiling at an angle above the screen, preferrably lowering into place by some form of motorised mechanism but would be greatful for any other suggestions.
    Does anybody have any plans for such a mechanism or has seen something similar done elsewhere?
    Will the sound be degraded by the ceiling position of the centre speaker?

Cheers

Steve
    :) :) :)

2. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    I would avoid putting in the ceiling, especially if you L/R speakers are at normal height. I imagine you wouldn't get a sense of realism for surround sound. I didn't read all of you BOSE thread, so not sure if you've got/chosen your speakers - but if you had Gallos, they'd fit above the mantle.

What screen and housing is going above the fire? Putting a screen above a fire is a compromise for peoples living room - if you're building a home cinema lounge, do you have to compromise?

3. sunlink

sunlink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trigg,

Married, hence compromise and fireplace.
    Are you saying that there would be significant degradation of the dialogue channel if the speaker was at ceiling height?

Steve:confused:

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Yup - people's voices from the screen should be at ear height, otherwise everyone appears to be speaking to you from heaven. :D

5. dml

dml

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two possible solutions:

1. Phantom Centre. Not ideal but you did mention compromise!

2. Use two centre speakers mounted either side of the screen.

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    certainly possible to position the speaker above the screen,angled down into the listening position,but it will lead to some distortion of the soundstage.
    Using 2 centre speakers either side of the screen will result in a very diffuse centre speaker image,and may well intrude on the information from your L and R speakers...I wouldn't go for that option,nor would I go for using a phantom setup unless you really have to.

7. sunlink

sunlink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DML,

A centre either side is looking favourite at this moment in time.

Steve:)

8. sunlink

sunlink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any ideas on a smaller replacement for my Tannoy centre? Something no taller than four inches.

Steve:confused:

9. graham r j

graham r j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the sounds of it you'll be using a projector I presume??
    How's about getting a perforated screen?, that way you could position the centre channel speaker behind it at a more "ear friendly" height. And possibly flush it into the wall in a "wife friendly" fashion???

Only a suggestion mind!!!

TTFN

10. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Steve,

Is the fireplace going to be used? And will it be used when watching movies.

The glow from any fire, be it real or gas, will be pretty distracting, not to mention the heat that could seriously affect the screen. But maybe you've no plans to use it and it will just be decorative.

If the fire is never going to be used why not build your centre speaker in to the surround somehow and then pull the cover off when watching movies. Or is an Inglenook all stone? (excuse my ignorance) In which case the perforated screen would be a great option and then build the speaker into the wall.

Chris L

11. graham r j

graham r j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again Sunlink,

Just had another thought. If the room is going to be a cinema/lounge, why not try building a false wall across the front of it (if the front speakers/sub are to be situated in alcoves either side of fireplace)? and use coloured acoustic cloth in front of the speakers to hide them away from the prying eyes of the missus (obviously in a colour or HER choosing). That way she won't be able to see just what you've got hidden there and may be able to get away with having some seriously big speakers and sub's without her knowledge.

HEH HEH!!