1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre Speaker Buzzing....Help!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by astirling, Nov 18, 2004.

1. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Just took delivery of my Tannoy Eyris's today. They seem pretty nice though I've not really had a chance to listen to them yet. I'm a bit concerned about my centre speaker though which seems to buzz continuously even when the sound is muted. At the moment, it's sitting on top of my tele. I've noticed that if I move it then the buzzing goes away. I tried puting my old paradigm back in and i've noticed this buzzes as well albeit a little more quietly. The tannoy has an earth connection so i tried wiring this to the phono earth on my amp but that didn't make any difference.

Any suggestions?

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's probably picking up the buzz magnetically from the TV scan coils (I assume you have a TV monitor). Most centre speakers are magnetically shielded to stop this happening.

3. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44

Tannoy claim that their centre speakers (well actually all of their eyris speakers including the rears) are extensively magnetically shielded. For what it's worth, there are no colour fringing effects on the tele.

It is interference though, no doubt about that. Anything I can purchase to put under the speaker in order to stop this happening?

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's just possible that it's the cable to the speaker picking up the buzz, and somehow feeding it back to the amp. You might try running screened cable to the speaker.

5. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I'm not convinced that it is to be honest. If I lift the speaker and just pull it a foot or so forward in front of the tele then the buzzing goes away. The speaker cable is still running up the back of the tele and over the top. I suppose it could be picking it up at the point of connection though? Not sure what I could do about that.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sounds like the voice coil of the speaker is picking up from the scan coils. Mu-metal screening is usually there to stop the speakers from affecting the TV, not vice-versa. The voice coil won't be well screened - if it was, no sound could come out ! I think moving your speaker might be the only remedy.

7. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will be an inductor on the centre speakers crossover that is picking or (inducing) the noise from the CRT.

An off board crossover may be your only solution.

Speak to the manufacturer of the speaker for more info, they may even mod it for you!

8. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Just as an update, I spoke with Tannoy. They asked an awful lot of questions regarding make of TV, where the cable runs etc. etc. They say they can't see how there could be direct interference between the tele and the speaker but I'm convinced there is. My old centre is fine. Also if I pull the Tannoy speaker forward about a foot in front of the tele, the buzzing goes and the cable is still travelling the same route.
    They're picking up the speaker on Monday to have a look at it.

9. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just a suggestion

You dont have a mobile phone near by, do you?
    This makes my centre speaker buzz, If I remove the phone, buzzing stops.

I hope you get it fixed

10. dvddude

dvddude
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its defo the tv interfearing with the crossover mate. the original b&w cc6 used to do it but you could turn the crossover round and that stopd it

11. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Yeah...i'm sure you're right. I don't think it's a faulty speaker as such so I'm not sure how tannoy are going to fix it. I brought one of the eyris rears over and placed it on top of the tele and it buzzed as well (the eyris rears are also shielded) so it seems that my tele is going to cause problems with that range.
    One positive though is that, so far, Tannoy have been excellent. The technician I spoke to seemed really interested and committed to helping me. I really hope they do though for the sake of my finances. I spent most of yesterday looking at plasma screens!

12. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Just thought I'd update you because I always feel it's worth giving praise to a company when I get good service. The engineer from Tannoy phoned this morning. He told me that he had managed to reproduce the fault in their lab. He didn't indicate it was a faulty speaker as such but stated that some televisions were giving off enough interference to affect it's performance. He went on to say that he'd made modifications to the speaker (I can't remember which specific part he stated - not the crossover) and that the buzz was now gone. The speaker was being sent out today 'next day delivery' and should be with me tomorrow.

I'll reserve judgement till I hear it but well done so far!!!

Only downside (if you can call it that)is I've already applied for finance to get me that 42" non-interfering plasma screen as I didn't think they would fix it. Whoops!