Question Centre speaker at low volume and thin sounding

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by CPTK, Aug 11, 2018.

1. CPTK

CPTK
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hello All, I’m not new to Audio/Cinema, in fact for the past 30 years my full time profession has been involved in the professional audio industry, I’m mentioning this because I’ve tried all of the obvious but no joy. So this is what I have;

Denon AVR-X3300W Receiver, Cyrus 6A amplifier, Cyrus Mono block power amplifier, Bi-Amped My Monitor Audio silver RS6 for the L & R, Monitor Audio silver small book shelf on stands for the rear, and Monitor Audio silver Centre speaker, Sky Q box and Sony Blue-Ray player.

I have the Cyrus 6A being feed from the L & R outputs from the Denon receiver and the centre, LR and RR being handled by the Denon speaker outputs. When watching a movie on the Blue-Ray, there is no issue. However, when I watch a movie, or indeed anything on the Sky Q box, I get very low and thin sounding dialogue from the centre speaker. I’ve set the Sky Q box Audio to Dolby Digital and that shows up on the Denon front panel, but no matter what settings I try it’s still the same. So has anyone had this same issue or am I missing something?

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,373
    Sky sound is dreadful. Broadcast volumes are all over the place. Par for the course I'm afraid.

3. scoobysmiff

scoobysmiff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    My Sky Q isn't that bad tbh, it's not what you would call outstanding but it is ok which is better than what you seem to be getting. Could it be poor cable connection or poor quality cable, can you swap with the br cable to check?
    Look in the Denon set up menus for speaker settings as well.
    Amp could be faulty, Q box could be faulty?

4. CPTK

CPTK
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I’ve have been told that The audio from Sky can sometimes be poor, for example various levels, although I think this is not the problem, even if I increase the level on the centre speaker to max dB the level goes up a little but still thin. It almost sounds as if the woofers have blown (I haven’t checked the centre speaker yet to see if that’s the case) although the first thing to go would have been the tweeter.

Regarding the cabling, I’m using good quality HDMI 2.0 cables. I’ve changed over them and no difference.

I’ve also been through the Denon set up menu, but no joy there either. Incidentally, I manually set up the levels by ear as I found the auto set up not that good.

As to the Denon receiver being faulty, surly it would effect the other sources as well? I’ve already checked if the Sky W box has a fault and it’s ok.

My other thought was to do with the way in which the television (Samsung Smart 65”) connects tobAV receiver, it has a multi cable that comes from the TV to a small connecting box with all of the HDMI, Optical, USB etc. So the Sky Q box is connected from the Sky Q box to the Sat/Cable TV input on the Denon, the Blue Ray into HDMI 2 on the Denon and so forth.

So to be able to connect the TV to the receiver, you have to come from this Samsung box, out into the Denon’s HDMI output. The only thing I can do is to check all of my cabling and go through the set up process again. Anyway thanks for the suggestions, any other ideas would be welcome.

5. stewjoy

stewjoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +341
    Sky q sound is quite good on my system, it does vary a lot on the movie channels I can go from -28 to -24db to get decent volume. On sky Atlantic and other channels eg bbc1 / itv -34 to -30db.

6. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Try setting the Sky Q box output to "Normal" and then select one of the surround modes (e.g. Dolby Digital) to playback the sound. Is the volume OK now?

I assume you have connected the Sky box directly to your Denon and not to your TV? If directly to the TV, using the ARC function, it maybe an issue with the TV settings.

If you playback stereo music and select a a multi-channel playback mode does the sound from the centre speaker seem OK? If OK then the Denon would not seem to be the issue.

7. CPTK

CPTK
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes the Sky Q box is going into the Denon receiver. At the moment the Sky Q box is set to Dolby Digital, I’ll try changing to normal and let you know. Thanks

8. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,373
    If your sound is fine with blu ray then your problem must be with the Sky connection. Have you tried another HDMI input on the Denon? Or swapped speaker around and use one of the fronts on the centre to listen if the problem is still there?

I've not got a Q box just HD+. The normal audio setting on HD+ is just PCM stereo.

9. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +845
    If the system sounds ok with blu-rays then it has to be a problem with the source or how that specific source is set up.

I do not have sky q so cannot comment on the sq but I have heard mixed reviews.

I sometimes have problems with some of Netflix shows albeit not too many, most sound amazing, then I'll watch something that is thin and muffled. it's quite frustrating :(

10. Blupetros

Blupetros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    Just a silly thought, but is it bi-wireable? Do you have the shorting bars or cables in?

11. CPTK

CPTK
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you again for all the suggestions, I’m going to try again this afternoon.

The centre speaker is wired as normal, I’ll check the HDMI cable from the Sky Q box and I’ll also try another input on the Denon. The Sky Q box is running HD+ not UHD, someone told me that I’d need to set the Sky Q box at HD and not HD plus, as HD plus if you are running and have paid for the UHD from Sky.

I’m wondering if it’s an issue with the the TV settings, however I’ve been through the menu and can’t find an obvious setting.

12. Cherrywood

Cherrywood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    As others have said, this is a just how sky board cast. previously SD channels were always quiet. Since upgrading to SKY Q UHD using DD+ HD channels are really quiet and SD too loud.

For Sky Store i have the AVR set to 0DB where as with blu ray -15DB

13. CPTK

CPTK
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi All and thanks for everyone giving me good suggestions, after checking and double checking, the set up on the, TV, Receiver, the Sky Q box and all of my other kit, plus checking the HDMI wiring as well, I went onto the speakers. As I moved the centre speaker, just in case I’d done what Blupetros had suggested, removed the short bars, I hadn’t, but as I moved the speaker back, suddenly it came to life! I moved it again and it went quite. After looking at the rear terminals and moving them, the plus terminal was loose, although the cables were tight, the post was its self loose. So after tightening it up everything is as it should be, working! I looked at this problem for the last 6 to 8 weeks and it turns out to be the less obvious. Lesson learned here, is check All speaker connections first, not just visual check, but a physical moving of the binding posts.

14. series1boy

series1boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Same problem here and I have purchased the denon DeRemote app, and I can up the volume on the centre channel or other channels independently, it’s a really good app.

Just like others have said, sky volumes are all over the place!

1 thing to check is your speakers are set to large or small with the latter should be set to this, irrespective of speaker size, and this can make a difference to SQ!

15. Violator

Violator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    He fixed it. See above.

16. AudioAlien89

AudioAlien89
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The basics are really important, and sadly most of us audio-heads tend to look at a problem from a technical point of view rather than work from the ground up haha. Glad you got it sorted dude.