1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre Speaker - Any Ideas !!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sofaboy, May 6, 2002.

1. sofaboy

sofaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I currently have a Eltax centre ( bought from Richer sounds, NUff said about that)..

Can anyone recommend a more livlier center speaker, some low volume or deep sounds from my eltax center seems to get lost somewhere and I loose some speech...

I cant really spend loads of money, but if you can give me any ideas i might sell a kidney to pay for a new centre....

Im using a Yamaha ax-620 amp and have Kef Cresta 2's as fronts and Cresta 1's as rears... and Yamaha sw 305 sub

Cheers big ears:)

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi

What about the Kef Cresta centre?? Or even a Cresta 1 (if its shielded). They´ll match your others perfectly & should sound better than the Eltax as well.

3. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mission 77C1, I'm sure many on the forum will back me up with that.

4. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hello

Can't fault the 77C1, Got mine from richer sounds two months back for £109.99 (In Black)

Sounds great, very sturdy too, Accidently knocked it off the top of my TV onto the floor at it survived intact!!!

Cheers

Chris

5. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep go for cresta centre (£69) in cherry anyway, black is £10 cheaper. It will match the rest of your system which is what you want. Oh and the centre can be bi wired.
    I had a eltax liberty centre and it was a tad on the bassy side. The kef sounds much better for speech anyway.

6. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny you should say the Mission is sturdy... the first time I got it, one of the drivers had come off and was rattiling around in the cabinet! :eek:

It was a faulty batch though, apparantly.

7. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

Both the 77c and Cresta C employ two mid woofers either side of a tweeter (or tweeter array in the case of the 77c).
    Most speaker designers worth their salt will tell you this is bad news.
    This design generally causes lobing which in turn causes bad response dips and peaks. Amonst other problems, this results in poor intelligibility particulary with off axis listening.

I've been trying to deter people from centre speakers designs such as the Mission 77c and Cresta C for quite a while now.

I have nothing against KEF or Mission but their persistence, like many other manufacturers in producing (differing) centres and particularly centres of the above designs is frustrating.

Eric

8. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  9. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Eric, if u dont rate the missions or the kefs wot would you say was a good all rounder at a sub £100 price?

ta m8ty

10. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    eric, the77c has 1 mid/woofer and a passive drone the77c1 has two mid woofers i only mention it because hyperfi are still selling the 77c in a kit. i use the 77c1 and in practice its a good centre, the 77c i had first did not have the same clout or clarity.

11. sofaboy

sofaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI eric you are right, my eltax has two mid woofers either side of a tweeter.... and thats why it sounds a bit well crappy.

So may I use you as my center speaker guru and ask what speaker configuration is best for a centre? or any tips on buying a good center... cheers my guru!!

12. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Eric,

Funny you should say that because this is what I find the 77c1 really good at. The clarity of the dialogue from 77c1 was one of the first thing's I fell in love with on the 77c1 and also it's ability to be positioned with a quite wide variance in the vertical field and still hold itself together. I don't know if the triple array of tweeters helps in this respect (I'd imagine they must do).

Cheers

Dave

13. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It certainly doesn't help. I think most know that an identical front three is optimum. This is not always possible due to cost or logistical problems. I've recently recommended (and used in quite a few installs) the M&K S85 to a number of friends whereby the identical centre is such that it can easily be used with TV based systems.
    If you look at M&K's S125 model (the next model up) they employ two mid range drivers that are not either side of the tweeter. The two drivers sit next to each other while the tweeter sits at the end. Maybe Mission and others should take note.

Another way to go is to follow what I did last month for my parents. I bought three pair of speakers (KEF Q1's, best bang for buck budget speaker around) and split one pair as centre and rear centre for the EX/ES channel. Although the front was difficult to position it can be done.

The sound by the way was seamless.

Eric

14. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    eric going on your experience, my front mains are dynaudio audience 42s ny centre the mission 77c1 as mentioned, would i get even better clarity with the dynaudio 42c-enough to make it worthwhile ditching the mission. thanks, ken

15. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave,
    The triple array would help but in my view this would have sounded even better with the tweeters employed on one end rather than in between the two woofers. To some extent, the reason for this design is aesthetic (are you listening Mission).

I've noticed from your room layout that your main listening positions are far from off axis which means for your situation, lobing is not a huge issue.

What is an issue (and this is purely personal) is the use of the 773e for L/R and the 77c for centre. Even with the use of identical drivers throughout the front three, the volume differences with these are enormous. The 773e has 22 litres of volume while the 77c is one third of this at just over 7 litres.

What this means is that there is a huge mismatch in timbre with your front three. You should be able to spot this even with test tones. With dialogue and vocals this will be glaringly obvious and to some extent disturbing (to me anyway).
    Try playing the same dialogue or vocals through each speaker in turn and you will see what I mean. The L/R's will have more body and substance in comparison to the much smaller centre.

You can also experiment by swapping over one of the mains with the centre whereby you will also see what you are missing in the middle.

Eric

16. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ken,
    The Dynaudio 42's are great speakers. Replacing the Mission centre with the 42c (similar volume and identical drivers to your mains) would improve your front soundstage no end. The difference would in fact be quite drastic.

Eric

17. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks eric, i'll try it even though i like the mission i respect your views enough so that i'll probably buy it after a listen. ken.

18. Chip

Chip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Eric,
    When you say volume do you mean how loud it goes?

Chip

19. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chip
    No, I mean internal volume.

Eric

20. Chip

Chip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh. Does this make a difference?

Chip

21. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    eric, is chip related to chompy? i feel something is fishy unless he's a bit of a windup merchant, still it passes the time while i am running in the servo and the kids are out. ken

22. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ken,
    I think its his second cousin removed.

Chip,
    Please take time to read the thread.

Eric

23. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'll have a go at this Eric and if I notice a difference I'll probably never forgive you :D What's that saying? Ignorance is bliss? ;)

Cheers

Dave

24. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Basically what eric is saying here is that the center should match your main pair.....ie. be the same model of speaker.

Is that correct?

ad

25. Chip

Chip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Eric but I just dont get it :(
    If something has the same drivers surely they will sound the same?

Chip

26. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    chip, by drivers do you mean cars or speakers? ken.

27. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chip,
    All things being equal, enclosure shape, bracing, general design, etc.
    A driver in a small enclosure will sound different to the identical driver in a larger enclosure.

Eric

28. sofaboy

sofaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a to let you know that i've finally got a center that im happy with. I went for the Kef cresta center

....I did listern to you uncle eric, but I gave a couple a home test for a week and plummed for the Kef...

I also had a V. tight budget (so m+k was out of the question) and a g/f which thinks that looks are more important than sound (only a woman could get them that way round!!!)

Anyway, thanks all for your advice im now a happy camper ... Just got to sell my eltax now before she finds out.....
    :confused: ;)

Cheers all

29. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    eric, been auditioning the42c for 2 days now, you are right drastic improvement to whole soundstage, servo 15 improving daily,thanks for all your help, ken. p.s. pay for 42c on monday. god, where does it end. p.p.s. its fun i love it.

30. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ken,
    Once you experience the joys of a virtually seemless front soundstage, there's no going back. Hope you are enjoying yourself.

Regards
    Eric