Centre Speaker Adjustable Speaker Spikes

MacReady

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have become more aware over the last few Months of a few times when the sound from my centre speaker seems a little 'boomier' on vocals. Not sure if that's the best way to describe it but it just doesn't have quite the same level of clarity as my front L/R speakers sometimes. (Speakers are Dali Opticon at the front)

I wondered if it was because it is sat on some small rubber feet on top of the AV unit...which is an IKEA unit with a glass top? Could isolating the speaker more from this unit help with the clarity?

With this in mind I started looking at stick on spike feet with shoes for centre but I thought it would also be a good idea to try and angle the speaker a little towards the listening position with shorter spikes at the back? This would also raise it up a little as well which surely couldn't hurt?

So, am I on the right track trying to do this and, if so, can anyone recommend some adjustable spike feet/shoes that can be stuck on the speaker and allow me to have a lower height at the back please?

Angling the centre speaker towards your head height is generally a good move. Not sure if spikes would be much benefit over just getting a couple of taller rubber feet for the front of the speaker.

As mentioned, you'd also need spike shoes/discs so that you don't damage your AV cabinet.

Out of curiosity what crossover do you have set for the Centre?

Angling the centre speaker towards your head height is generally a good move. Not sure if spikes would be much benefit over just getting a couple of taller rubber feet for the front of the speaker.

As mentioned, you'd also need spike shoes/discs so that you don't damage your AV cabinet.

Out of curiosity what crossover do you have set for the Centre?
I have to be honest in that I thought spikes may look better than rubber feet as well ;)

I have the crossover set at 80Hz on all speakers across the front soundstage.

I have to be honest in that I thought spikes may look better than rubber feet as well ;)

I have the crossover set at 80Hz on all speakers across the front soundstage.

Rubber doesn't look pretty but does the job nicely. With spikes I'd probably make sure the shoes/discs had a rubber base rather than have metal on top of the AV stand surface. Avoids any slippage etc.

Might be worth trying a slightly higher crossover for the Centre. 90hz or 100hz could be enough to take away a bit of boom.

Rubber doesn't look pretty but does the job nicely. With spikes I'd probably make sure the shoes/discs had a rubber base rather than have metal on top of the AV stand surface. Avoids any slippage etc.

Might be worth trying a slightly higher crossover for the Centre. 90hz or 100hz could be enough to take away a bit of boom.
Thanks, will give the crossover setting a try (watching Spectre again later in our run up to No Time To Die at the cinema tomorrow, so will be a good test to see if it improves it)

Is the centre right at the front of the av unit?If set back soundwaves reflected of the top of the unit can cause boominess and reduce clarity.
Worth a try if not already at the front.

Martin

Is the centre right at the front of the av unit?If set back soundwaves reflected of the top of the unit can cause boominess and reduce clarity.
Worth a try if not already at the front.

Martin
It's about an inch away from the front of the unit....so not too far back.

IMG_6318.jpeg

I tried changing the crossover as well and have watched a couple of movies with it at 90hz and 100hz. I am honestly not sure if it's just the placebo effect making me think it sounds better, but it does seem to have lost a bit of the roominess!

I still want to get something to raise it from the top of the cabinet more and angle it at the MLP though.

It's about an inch away from the front of the unit....so not too far back.

View attachment 1588524
I tried changing the crossover as well and have watched a couple of movies with it at 90hz and 100hz. I am honestly not sure if it's just the placebo effect making me think it sounds better, but it does seem to have lost a bit of the roominess!

I still want to get something to raise it from the top of the cabinet more and angle it at the MLP though.

Definitely use the whole height you have available so the center channel comes just below tv. There is table stands and you can DIY one too or buy the two "feets" to wall mount the speaker below tv, although i would always prefer speaker more in to room than against wall unless designed to be used on-wall. First thing to do is to get it higher and closer to where your main speakers tweeters are. Some ribbon tweeters have limited vertical dispersion so even more important to get them at seated ear height, at least closer and then tilting upwards. Higher crossover setting can work better as we have seen countless times.

Amazon product ASIN B01HZMCP4E
Amazon product ASIN B0957NX2L5
These look bit low:

Amazon product ASIN B08L3X27TN

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Many people seem to have their Centre speakers at knee height when sitting down!

I appreciate that it's very difficult to find AV cabinets that can accommodate placing Centre speakers high up so they're closer to the level of the Fronts.

Looking at your picture, I think the SoundXtra tilting stand that @mjbtin linked would be perfect to give a try, especially as it's only £25. I use their stands for my Atmos upfiring speakers and they're heavy, solid and work well.

There's an Allen key adjustment hidden inside under the badge on the side that allows you to tighten them sufficiently so they don't drop in use. Angling your Centre up might make a big difference to the sound.

You might also consider one of these to put under your Centre to isolate it from the AV cabinet:

Dimensions are 40 cm x 30 cm.

So put the chopping board on the cabinet, then the tilting stand on top. Angle it towards you and lock off using an Allen key.

Good luck!

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I used 3 or 4 of these self adhesive feet stuck together to place under the front of my centre speaker to slightly adjust the angle. They increased the clarity of my centre and ensured a better timbre match with the mains.

Cheap (well cheaper) than chips too. They surprisingly look quite aesthetically pleasing.

Last edited:

Did you adjust the crossover in the Audyssey app then resend calibration to the AVR? This should get better results than adjusting it on the AVR.

Did you adjust the crossover in the Audyssey app then resend calibration to the AVR? This should get better results than adjusting it on the AVR.
No, have to admit I didn't..just changed on the AVR. Will do as you suggest though and change via the app.

I have been looking at a few different stands and options to raise the centre up higher, including all the ones suggested above. I am going to make a decision on which will look and work best and get something ordered this week...will post on here once I have an update and to confirm if it has improved the sound. Thanks everyone.

No, have to admit I didn't..just changed on the AVR. Will do as you suggest though and change via the app.

I have been looking at a few different stands and options to raise the centre up higher, including all the ones suggested above. I am going to make a decision on which will look and work best and get something ordered this week...will post on here once I have an update and to confirm if it has improved the sound. Thanks everyone.
Feel free to add a pic or two!:)

Been ages since I posted this and I have only just got round to putting a solution in :laugh:

I ended up just going for some larger domed silicone isolation feet at the front of the centre speaker and smaller feet at the back. It's resulted in it now being raised from the AV unit and also angled towards the MLP.

It definitely sounds better and, straight away, I could tell that the 'boominess' from the centre channel vocals had pretty much disappeared and the front soundstage blended a lot better!

Amazing how a few bits of rubber for £20 can make such a difference :p I will take some pics and post them later.

Nice and discreet I think, but amazing how much difference they have made.

IMG_6877.jpeg

IMG_6878.jpeg

Maybe try the centre upright if you have clearance under the TV and see if it makes any difference. Can the tweeter module be rotated 90 degrees?

Ideally the tweeters across the front 3 speakers should be level for the best panning effect.

Whats inside the cabinet under the centre...it could be bass reverberating inside if the cabinet is hollow. I would try sound deadening. If it doesn't work then at least it will reduce cabinet vibration.

Maybe try the centre upright if you have clearance under the TV and see if it makes any difference. Can the tweeter module be rotated 90 degrees?

Ideally the tweeters across the front 3 speakers should be level for the best panning effect.

Whats inside the cabinet under the centre...it could be bass reverberating inside if the cabinet is hollow. I would try sound deadening. If it doesn't work then at least it will reduce cabinet vibration.
There is not enough room under the TV to have the speaker upright, plus, as you mentioned, the tweeter module would need to be rotated for the ribbon tweeter to work correctly and it is a fixed module.

The cabinet underneath is actually pretty jammed with things. One side is completely full of records and the other two sections have all the AV kit in is I don't think it was that so much causing the boominess....more just the centre resonating through it or being too close to it? Just raising that rent edge up seems to have got rid of all the issue I was having with the vocals though.

They look exactly like I was looking for. Where did you get them?
They were from Amazon....

2" Platinum Silicone Hemisphere Bumper, Non-Skid Isolation Feet with Adhesive - 20 Duro - 4 Pack

They seem to have gone up a couple of pound since I ordered them though.

Another solution that I think works is foam isolation pads, I use 2 for my MA SILVER, they are dark grey and and can be cut to size.

Amazon product ASIN B07T8XP93J
I use the small of the wedges they work just great this way the full speaker is isolated from everything and tilted at just the right angle.

They were from Amazon....

2" Platinum Silicone Hemisphere Bumper, Non-Skid Isolation Feet with Adhesive - 20 Duro - 4 Pack

They seem to have gone up a couple of pound since I ordered them though.
Thanks for that, I will have a look.

Another solution that I think works is foam isolation pads, I use 2 for my MA SILVER, they are dark grey and and can be cut to size.

Amazon product ASIN B07T8XP93J
I use the small of the wedges they work just great this way the full speaker is isolated from everything and tilted at just the right angle.
I did consider using those as well but wasn't sure about the weight of the speaker 'crushing' the foam over time?

I did consider using those as well but wasn't sure about the weight of the speaker 'crushing' the foam over time?
The MA SILVER is quite big, I actually use the smaller wedge not the large one, it's still the same shape etc as the day I got them, they are actually a very spongy foam that are really well made. Funnily enough I use the one of the large wedges to act as dust cover for the back of my Panasonic pt6000e when it's not in use.lol.

Anyways this information may help others in the future .

Ordered the feet and fitted them today on my Silver C150 centre. Haven't been able to try them out yet but the speaker is now pointing towards the listening position ears rather than our knees!

It's funny how we seem to have the same idea of TT on the left of the AV unit. I have my (now vintage?) Denon DP21F sat there and love it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom