Centre speaker above or below TV?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by MeerkatHack, Feb 4, 2009.

1. MeerkatHack

MeerkatHack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick-ish query: I'm getting my plasma fixed to the wall next week but where it will go will be affected by where the centre speaker goes, so I need your excellent advice.

At the moment, because of the layout of the room, the TV (Panasonic 46") is going over the mantelpiece. The bottom of the TV's frame will be at eye-height when I'm sat on the sofa about two and a half-metres away. So the TV would be a tad higher than I'd have it ideally, but not too high.

Now I'm also putting in a 5.1 set of moderately small speakers (Jamo 102 HCS 5). So my question is... should I put the centre speaker directly above the TV, or below it?

My gut instinct is the centre speaker should go below, because it will be at ear-height and I don't want the speakers up unnecessarily loud as I'm in a terraced house. The other speakers, including the two rear ones, will also be at that height. But that will mean the screen going up by 10cm or so, so the bottom of the frame will be at hair-height rather than eye-height.

Any suggestions on whether the speaker should go above or below would be much appreciated.

:)

2. Indecisive

Indecisive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I would of thought someone would of answered this for you by now......

With front speakers, eye level is always recommended and below the tv always looks more natural I think so thats the area I would select.

Hope that helps :smashin:

3. MeerkatHack

MeerkatHack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that - I was getting indecisive and you've helped make up my mind. And, yes, it should be better aesthetically too.

:thumbsup:

4. Indecisive

Indecisive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    lol, glad I could help :smashin: