1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre Speaker - Above or Below the TV?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ReVeReNcE, Dec 23, 2003.

1. ReVeReNcE

ReVeReNcE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking at building a cabinet/stand for my TV and other bits & pieces and was considering a shelf for the centre speaker to sit on. I am going to buy a Monitor Audio Bronze centre (to match the fronts), but am undecided as to whether it would be better above or below the tv).

If it were placed on a shelf on the rack below the TV, it would be about 40-45cm high. The other option is having it on a shelf above the TV, but I think this would be too high (about 1.6-1.8m high). Don't really want to put it on top of the actual set, so which position would be better?

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    which position is the best compromise of close to the screen and close to your ear level? whichever one it is, thats the best for your centre. I suspect that is probably below

ad

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,934
    have mine below

4. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Slightly angle the speaker, so it points directly to ear level at your seating position.......nice custom shelf maybe?

5. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I got mine on a shelf above the TV.
    Slightly agled down by about 10 degrees so it looks like the sound is coming from the TV and not above.

If you have it below the TV then maybe you could angle it up........dont think it really matters where you have it, as long as you give it a slight bit of angle....not to much thow......you dont want them talking from the celling, or the floor.

6. ReVeReNcE

ReVeReNcE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. Below will probably be most practical, should be able to angle it up as suggested. Will post some pics of it when (and if) I make it!