1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre Speaker - Above or below Plasma

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GP-TT, Sep 27, 2003.

1. GP-TT

GP-TT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've been bothered about the position of the centre speaker vis vis my plasma and I'd appreciate some suggestions.

My plasma TV will be positioned above a live fireplace. Although the plan is not to have the fire on at the same time as the plasma I still have an issue about where to position the centre speaker.

The TV will be a Pany 6 42" (61cm height) and the centre speaker a A Diva Gallo.

The distance from the floor to the top of the fireplace is 95cm and by the time I add a gap before I position the speaker (30cm) and a gap between the speaker and the plasma (20cm), I'm looking at a height of 145cm. Add the total plasma height and you are looking at 206cm which I was told is way too high for positioning the plasma and I would strain my neck etc....

The alternative would be to position the speaker above the plasma, which meant that the viewing height would be a more acceptable 185cm.

My concern however is whether, due to the position of the speaker, the sound will come unnaturally high and although I gather that the Gallos allow some tilting, I'm not sure if it will be enough.

Am I worrying unnecessarily, or should I reconsider placing the speaker below the plasma and live with the screen being quite high?

Any thoughts ideas will be really welcome.

PS: Since we are redecorating the whole room, hiding the cables in the wall, although at the moment the cables have been configured to position the speaker above the plasma, I have about a week to change my mind without my wife divorsing me !

2. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    We'll gloss over the fact that your plasma is going to die very quickly..............

Ideally you want the centre speaker approximately level with the front speakers, so if you are very worried about getting a stiff neck, simply lob the fronts near the ceiling along with the centre.

Take a look at the "Get your plasmas out for the lads" thread in the appropriate forum for lots and lots of alternative arrangements.

But seriously, it doesn't matter. Placing your plasma directly over a live fire.........you may as well just nail that centre speaker through the centre of the screen.

You not got radiators?

3. GP-TT

GP-TT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TKs big Adam about the rather direct way of telling me that you didn't exactly agree about the position of the plasma.

For the avoidance of doubt (and I get I can always blame my English !) when I was referring to live fire I meant a gas fire one and not a wood burning one. I agree with you that the latter one would be suicidal for a plasma, but talking to people and reading some comments in the US plasmatvbuyingguide site, the advice was that as long as the temerature on the chimmney breast wall didn't rise a lot, you would be fine. After all as I mentioned the plamsa is meant to be on only when the gas fire is off.

4. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    so, can we assume that even when the have the fire on, and the plasma off - it will still remain over the fireplace..?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

5. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    I don't think you'll have a problem with it over the fireplace - try a thermometre there - doesn't get very hot.

As for height, I'd definately avoid it going as high as you suggested. 95cm isn't bad for the fireplace - can you have a small speaker between plasma and fire? Then there'll be no need for a 30cm & 20cm gap below and above speaker. I'd go for smallest speakers you're happy with, and 5 cm gaps. May be able to have inwall speakers (I know there's a fireplace, but the flu is often quite far back, and you may have plenty to play with.