1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre Rears

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by pwiles1968, Apr 20, 2004.

1. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have Just got round to trying an experiment I had been meaning to do for a while, I currently run two speakers in series for centre rear from a single output of my amp, I have been annoyed at how localised the centre rear sounded probably because the speakers are only about 2 feet behind me (4 ft either side of my listening position)

Tonight I wired one of them out of Phase, this would not normally be a good idea as it will destroy the imaging ability and make sound seem diffused which actually worked to very good effect, I will have to live with the system but for now it seems to have transformed my rear sound stage, the centre rear Image is extremely broad and expands along the whole width of my sofa. I am assuming the effect will be exactly the same if you run two speakers from dual centre rear outputs as they are mono, unless you have something like PLIIx or THX processing to give stereo centre rear, It may be worth trying and see what happens I was impressed with the difference it made. :thumbsup:

2. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Had a Play last night with several of my favourite DVD demo scenes:cool: , with amp on EX/ES by default, the surround effect was awesome this trick has really made a substantial difference to the system.:D

3. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Removed my rear centre egg because it made no sense in my smallish 3x4m listening quarters: too close for comfort.
    5.1 sounds better.
    Barend