1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre rear?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by magnatom, Mar 15, 2002.

1. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a Marantz sr5200 and the Kef eggs and at the moment I'm not using the Marantz's rear centre. I am about to rearange my lounge with the left/right rears wall mounted just behind and above the couch (pointing down I think is best).

My question is, will a rear centre work mounted just behind the couch and above the listener? (probably pointing down at them). Is it worth the extra £100 to buy a new egg?

The couch will be almost (but not quite) hard against the wall.

Thanks for the help

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find that having the surround positioned on the side walls 2.5m above ear level when seated and just infront of the listening position, gives me the best results.
    As for the single rear, mine's a little higher and placed on the back wall in the centre.
    None of my speakers are pointing down, think that is a NO! NO!

I'm sitting about 6/7ft away from the rear centre, sitting right underneath it may not give the best results, but if you can get hold of a single speaker (of an old Hi-Fi) you could try it out first before you spend you money.

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    In an EX/ES system you really need some space between your listening position and the rear centre/s.

As bob007 suggests, its worth getting a cheapo speaker as a test before you commit properly.

Some systems have in-wall speakers mounted in the ceiling pointing down (as seen in some of the custom installations).

I´ve tried various positions for my rear centres but found that behind, angled down towards the listening position gives the best results (the speakers are about 1 meter or so behind).

4. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I have the same amp and problem, no rear centre yet and sofa hard against rear wall. i have cannon v100 corner mounted rears which work well and give decent sound considering their limitations. I have a pair of cyrus [mission] speakers in the loft which sound great but are going to look awful mounted on the walls, i may try and experiment using one of these for my rear centre although a havnt a clue how to stick the thing up without fixing to wall [it will need a shelf making].
    If it works ok i will have to think about getting something similar to my cannons for centre..any ideas... or can anyone suggest a package of 3 full range speakers that i can position the same way without looking a right eyesore!

MY room is 15ft sq speakers as below.

Kef floorstanders [front]
    B&W CC6 [Centre]
    Cannon V100 [Rears]
    Rel Q100 Sub.

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    .......... but don't you loose a lot of the F/X through the roof tiles, think they would sound better if they were in the same room with the other speakers. :D

Joking apart, will always recommend using the same brand speakers, which in your case is the V100's, this means buying a pair which can be costly if you are only going to be using one speaker.
    You could always keep it for future upgrades, or you may be able to sell it to someone in the same position as you.

Best results with a rear centre is obtained when there is a good distance between the seating position and the speaker, buy all means try it, as you said you have a spare speaker at least you can experiment before you spends ya money.

6. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the answers folks.
    I didn't think it would be worth it but I thought I would check. Unfortunately the couch needs to be against the wall, so no luck there. No rear centre speaker until I can afford to move somewhere bigger...:(

Cheers

7. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Well i unplugged all my speakers and then connected my centre speaker [B&W CC6] to the centre rear terminal to try.
    Whenever it kicked in [used T2 dts es disc] it was pretty poor quality wise, very little if any bass or power in effects. I think when its working with rears it will still add to the soundtrack but i dont think i need worry about spending to much on a high quality speaker as i doubt if it would make a lot of difference for what it does.

8. Cheekster

Cheekster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm kinda in the same boat as you mate.

Using a pair of Canon V-100's as surrounds and wish to add a rear centre channel.

Do you know if Canon still do a centre channel at all that would match the V-100's tone-wise?

Cheekster.

9. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I think cannon made a centre which would have done the trick except they packed in making speakers ...
    If you come up with anything let me know, i will have a look around at weekend.

10. spock

spock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Martin & Bob. Re Canon speakers- see corner speaker thread & pics - maybe if I can find the right rear surround speakers your rear centre channel(s) problem could be solved. Cheers John

11. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I may take you up on that, only thing is it will have to be mounted on its side bolted to wall and ceiling. Have you tried this?