1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre rear speaker

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Little Badger, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Little Badger

Little Badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of using a Wharfedale Moviestar 60+ centre speaker as a rear centre speaker which I can get for £24.95.

I have a Marantz SR4300 that, according to the label on the back of the amp, is recommending speakers of 6 Ohms. The Moviestar is 4 Ohms.

Would this be OK and can anyone tell me if this speaker is a good speaker to use, sound wise?

It's going between a pair of Mordaunt Short MS 823R speakers.
    I'm on a budget as I've just bought a new DVD player and a new amp!

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The Ohm rating of speaker/amp is not too vital as long as they are not too far apart.
    Most home AV/HiFi speakers tend to be rated at 8 Ohms, but 4 Ohms is not unusual. It's just a rating on how hard the speakers are to drive. 8 is harder than 4, so a receiver rated a 6 Ohms driving a speaker of 4 Ohms should be fine, just turn down the volume for that speaker.
    Matching rear speakers is not as vital as for the fronts, so this speaker should be fine with what you have got as you are on a budget.

Mark.

3. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is best to use two speakers for the surround back channels as this helps the brain pinpoint sound. If you use just one speaker, the brain has great difficulty in placing information (which can sometimes make it sound as if it is coming from the front).

If your reciever only has 6.1 amplification it is possible to use two speakers connected to the one output. Check the equipments impedence rating for the rears. Two 8 Ohm speakers connected together will give a 4 Ohm load (which will drop slightly as it gets louder)

In the average size room this shouldnt be an issue especially with plenty of budget speakers about.

(The channels in a 7.1 system are described as 'surround back' by the industry (THX included) so note that those daft magazines often describe them as 'centre rear' (ugh)!)

4. Little Badger

Little Badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got speaker wires from the amp going to the wall behind the seating position.

What do I do to get two speakers from this wire?

Should I now just split the wires in to two (for both - and +) or should I trace a separate wires all the way back to the amp for the second speaker?
    Or should I put them in series or parallel?

How far apart should the two surround back speakers be?

5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Be carefull with 4 ohm speakers they put a greater load on your amp.Wire them in series this will give you 8ohms wich is a much easier load for the amp.Do it at the speaker end (less wires)just make shure you know what your doing or things could go pop.

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope wrong there! You DO have to pay attention to amp/speaker specifications.

4 Ohm's are harder to drive, 6 is easier and 8 is easiest..

If a receiver is rated at 6 Ohm, I would be concerned using 4 Ohm speakers; as it's most likely incapable of driving 4 Ohm speakers (without clipping/cutting out)

Sony AV amps are incapable of driving 4 Ohm speakers with low sensitivity- as they have low current draw ability.

7. Little Badger

Little Badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So would I be better off with one 6 - 8 Ohm speaker or two 8 Ohm speakers?