1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre Rear Speaker/Amp Query..

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by LDR, Aug 17, 2004.

1. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Is it possible to connect 2 speakers into the single centre rear input on a Denon 2802 without causing any damage ?

2. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I guess you mean "centre rear OUTPUT"?

If so...it's perfectly possible...you'd just wire them together. Not sure it's advisable though. Basically, you'll be presenting twice the load to that channel's power stage...and bearing in mind that Denon's aren't the most powerful amps in the world (despite what their literature claims), it's possible you might end up driving it too hard. Having said that, the centre rear isn't exactly the busiest channel, so you might find it can handle it just fine. Probably a suck it and see situation...though it might be wise to watch the volume for a while.

3. JackOTrades

JackOTrades
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's funny you should mention this. i went today to the sonus faber dealer in central london and spoke with them for a while (they have eye watering stuff over there :eek: ). well after agreeing that even the solo home is not going to be the perfect match for the signums i have, he went on to suggest (off the record) that one could get a cheaper second hand pair of decent hifi speakers and wire them up, in daisy-chain configuration off the centre output, placing one on each side of the tv, to work as a kind of split centre channel... he swears it will work ok...

i find it quite interesting and odd at the same time. why not keep the centre a phantom one and place the signal in the front speakers instead? because they would be further apart?!

the disadvantage of the phantom centre, to my mind, is that anyone slightly misaligned with the auditioning "sweet spot" will get a lesser experience... and with the current centre speakers that shouldn't happen (as much).
    surely with a pair of centres standing in front of you would create a similar effect... or perhaps i am missing something here. :confused:

i'm not sure if this is what you were asking but if it was it is a funny coincidence and i would be interested in finding out if anyone thinks this is a good idea... i am not too convinced. either way, he seems to believe that wiring two speakers in daisy chain to the centre output is absolutely fine.

(oh, and he will look for a piccolo solo for me. proacs are way too expensive and bright for my liking... :nono: )

cheers!
    Jack

4. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi again Jack! I ran my SF Concertos with a phantom centre for about a year...still sounded good as the imaging on those speakers is pretty strong...and yours would be better. Having recently introduced a centre channel though, it definitely makes a difference, locking the dialogue to the image & generally allowing for a more convincing & involving soundstage. Also, as you say, the "sweet-spot" is somewhat small without a centre speaker.

I'd be really interested to hear other opinions on wiring a pair of speakers to one amp channel. I guess it would depend upon their specs...a couple of 4 ohm units would present a similar resistance to an 8 ohm speaker (which would be common)...but then there's the sensitivity issue & the fact that the amp has to physically drive two speakers instead of one. Definitely need an audio techy to chip in here :rolleyes:

5. JackOTrades

JackOTrades
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's very good to know. what centre did you go for in the end? the Solo Home?

yes, you are right, and if it wasn't for the lack of space i would venture snapping a cheap pair of hifi speakers to try and centres... but they would take way too much space, space i unfortunately don't really have. some people also use one hifi speaker as the centre and they say it is not bad at all...

in regards to wiring a pair of centres, you're right, AFAIK doing it in daisy chain would add up the impedance and if you use a pair of 4ohm speakers this would be fine. if you use a pair of 8 ohm speakers than it will be pretty inneficient... and add to that that the small charges generated by the first speaker would probably pass on to the second (not sure if you would be able to hear a difference in the sound though). however, if one connects them in parallel, than the impedance gets halfed (i think). so if you have a pair of 8 ohm speakers and you wire them both in parallel to the centre output, the impedance will be 4 ohms... which is acceptable for most mid range receivers, i'd say... and you wouldn't have the problem of small charges (current) muddling the signal up.

so depending on the speakers original impedance both options are open to be tried... now i wish i had a pair to try out... :devil:

cheers!
    Jack

6. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Yes I went for the Solo Home. As you'd expect, it integrates really well with the rest of the system. In an ideal world, I guess we'd all have identical speakers for all channels, but the centre obviously present logistical problems that mean manufacturers have had to design units with horizontal positioning in mind.

Thinking back to physics at school (which I was never that good at!), as you say, wiring the speakers up in parallel could be an interesting test. Not sure I want to try it with my SFs though ;)