1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre positioning

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Hallsy, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have positioned my Aegis centre under my TV, as the TV slopes down at the top so the centre won't stay put when I tried it on top.

Anyhow, the aperture under the TV measures 44cm x 19cm. The centre is about 46cm x 16cm SO as you can tell it doesn't fit, BUT it will fit if I slide it in from behind the uprights, hence the speaker is sitting behind the legs so set back a little bit.

Thing is will this cause problems with the sound as it is basically sitting behind a tunnel of 44 x 19 cm, and about 8.5cm deep. Will this cause the soundstage to be very narrow?

Hard to explain so if anyone can't understand I will try to explain it better.

2. TimDeLAY

TimDeLAY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Hallsy I think you can draw your own conclusion if you actually position it where you describe. If I understand correctly though the placement you plan to make is behind the TV furniture. I don't think that this would be very sufficient as for the sound you'll get from your centre speaker. Ok, I don't know your general furniture positioning, but couldn't you place it in a small furniture in front of the TV (and obvioustly in a lower level so that you don't have any problems with the TV images).

3. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yeah, you are right I now i will have to suck it and see but wondered if anyone had any technical opinions.
    Basially about 1cm either side of the speaker is behind part of the TV stand, so basially the sound would be travelling through the 44 x 19cm void before coming out into the open room. I have left a little gap before the TV legs (about 1cm) but I doubt that this will make much difference.

i could use some furniture but I have some of my appliances in the Tv stand and this would obscure them.

I;m going to have a nightamre positioning the rears also with my L-shaped sofa layout, but that's another story all together!!

4. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Is it 1 cm behind on all 4 sides? or just the left and right side? I dont really think it sohuld matter to be honest. I personally have my centre in the apparture below my tv, it is only 6 cm off the floor and is at least another 60cm to ear height on my listening position (lying on my bed which is pretty close to the tv) and it has never been a problem.

Turned the centre up a few db on my amp just to get the levels equal and sounds absolutly cracking to my ears. Centre is about the same size as my lcr 60 and as long as the tweeter/woofer isnt right on the edge of the speaker (i would be worried if they were) then it should make no difference.

What i would recommend is to put the test tones on your amp on and adjust each channel to get them roughly the same volume (presuming your amp can) or better still get a sound level meter and a copy of avia and get the sound and picture absolutly perfect.

Hope you get it sorted mate, but as long as it sounds gd go with it, my setup is at really odd angles but sounds amazing, do it by ear and try not to worry about it being better somewhere else when you know it really isnt practical. As long as it sounds gd, is what i say.

Another option is to get some self adhesive velcro strap thingys from tesco, is what Kazman uses on his quad centre to keep it on top of his tv. Cant remember exactly what it's called but shouldnt damage the finish on your speakers, ill talk to Kazman and try and get him to post

5. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    OK cheers.

I think it looks much, much better under the telly, looks part of the TV and stand, rather than a big box on top!!

The aperture is 44 wide,a nd the centre 46 wide so it is shadowed by 1cm left anf right. Above it has 3 cm worth of space, what I meant by the 1cm clearance, is that is how far I have set it back from the legs of the stand, that are shadowing the speaker slightly.

What is avia?
    Also, how much is a decent SPL?

6. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Not sure what else you can do with your speaker im afraid, apart from move it forward as much as possible to narrow the angle

Avia is a home cinema set up disc, it comes with filters to help you set up your picture on your tv for optimum contrast etc and has audio sweeps to let you set up your sound, is more complicated than that obviously but i dont actually own a copy yet and am not the resident expert on such matters.

You can pick up avia for a special price of 26 quid just go to

Dvd Talk, Dvd Special offers, avia order

and can get an analogue spl meter for 30 quid here

http://www.cornwallelectronics.co.u...0&ps_session=02f45f5a6bad8c386470db8bdd750d8c

you can get a digital spl meter at maplins but is 52quid i think new. i personally picked up a second hand copy of avia for 16 quid and a digital spl meter for 35 in the classified forum and i would thoroughly recommend it to anyone looking for a bit of a bargain

7. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    well, actually having it in use now I can comment on how the centre sounds. DTS soundtracks so far sound OK, if maybe a little bassy but I thought this was prob a characteristic of the Yam 640 I'm using, I'd heard that they have quite a big sound with movies.
    The centre problems are more pronounced when you listen to music using PLII. The bass seems to much from the centre, a little muffled and boomy. Is this likey to be caused by the tunnel affect I've mentioned above?
    I have little other options on mounting it, it is too big for top of TV, and would fall off anyway due to slope. I could put it on a stand in front of TV but then it would be in front of soundsatge, and would also obscure view of freeview box, etc.
    The only otehr option might be to get another centre that would fit in the aperture so I could bring it right to the front rather than having it set back, or would I still notice a boom efect?

8. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,468
    Hallsy,

I had a similar problem and got round it by mounting the centre on a wedge of modelling clay (plasticene) stuck on top of the tv!
    Sounds naff, I know, but you can mould the clay to the angle you need, its just sticky enough to hold the speaker in place and you dont even see it once the speaker is in position....you can even get it in black!

Worth a try if all else fails, and at a couple of quid its a lot cheaper than a new stand.

9. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yeah, maybe when I get some time later on I will experiment positioning it, I can try it opn top and wedge with something just to try it, although I don't think this will be too aesthetically pleasing on the top!! Other than that I can try it on a little stand in front of the TV and if this works then maybe I could make a bracket or something to hold it clear of teh freeview, etc but not obscuring the TV.
    Another option I have just though of is maybe mounting it on a bracket against the back wall above the TV, this way I get good isolation and it doesn't end up looking like a big lump on top of the TV, rather just a floating lump!!