Centre - Monitor audio 250 or Apex 40?

Johnny123456

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I have almost completed my first home cinema set up in my loft - 9.2 system with 2 monitor audio radius 225 for the fronts and then radius 90s for surrounds, rear and front heights. I have two Monitor Audio Vector VW-8 subwoofers. At the moment I am using a spare radius 90 as my centre whilst I deliberate. I spent ages thinking about this and the fronts. I have thought about a 250 for the centre. However i have wondered whether an Apex 40 might be a better option simply because the woofers are slightly bigger and I’ve wondered whether I might be missing some mid from the centre with the smaller radius speakers? I had deliberated about getting larger fronts and centre e.g. Bronze or Silvers but then I’ve also been concerned with matching models. Does anyone have any advice as I realise the centre is so important to get right. I’d be happy to change the fronts as well as I’m kind of playing with this new hobby and buying / selling on eBay as I learn. Thanks

The Radius 90, 200, 225 or 250 will be fine for the centre and yes the Apex 40 will be better, but depending upon your amp, you could find that the amp might not be able to iron out the the extra depth which the Apex brings unbalancing the front end. So I'd say that which ever of the Radius range you choose, you will get a better balanced system than you would with the Apex (if the amp isn't able balances the front end correctly). I would say that the Bronze speakers would be a better match for balancing, but I would still say the the best option is staying with the Radius range

Just make sure you have the same model of speaker for the front 3 channels at the same height or they won't match sonically if the centre speaker is a different model from the front left and right.

The Radius 90, 200, 225 or 250 will be fine for the centre and yes the Apex 40 will be better, but depending upon your amp, you could find that the amp might not be able to iron out the the extra depth which the Apex brings unbalancing the front end. So I'd say that which ever of the Radius range you choose, you will get a better balanced system than you would with the Apex (if the amp isn't able balances the front end correctly). I would say that the Bronze speakers would be a better match for balancing, but I would still say the the best option is staying with the Radius range
Many thanks - my amp is a Denon AVRX 4200 which I’ve been really happy with and I guess would probably handle the balancing issues (?), however, what I’m hearing is that staying with radius range is the best option. I was slightly concerned about the subs being a different range - I just had the option to buy two quite cheaply and thought having dual would also be a benefit, so didn’t go for radius subs. I think I’ll take your advice and try and get a 250 (I like the idea of the xtra front bass port compared to the 225) and live with the set up for a while and try experimenting with sub positioning to get the most out of the system ‘as is’ before I start changing things again! Thanks for your advice.

Just make sure you have the same model of speaker for the front 3 channels at the same height or they won't match sonically if the centre speaker is a different model from the front left and right.
Thanks - OK so do you think I’d be better having a MA radius 225 rather than 250 as the centre - or would it make little difference?

Thanks. Do you think I’d notice a big difference moving to MA Radius subs?

Thanks. Do you think I’d notice a big difference moving to MA Radius subs?
I would look at getting Subs from a different manufacturer as unlike speakers you don't need to use the same manufacturer as Subs are for the bass. You can get better subs for around the same price as the MA subs. Do some research on Subwoofers in the subwoofer forum and there is also plenty of members there that can help you. For bang for buck BK subs are hard to beat so maybe have a look into them? Or for a bit more cash and if your budget allows then SVS is another great manufacturer.

I use a monitor audio silver center 5th g as recommended by m a themselves as a cheaper option to the A40' and works perfectly fine

I use a monitor audio silver center 5th g as recommended by m a themselves as a cheaper option to the A40' and works perfectly fine
Thanks. I can see that there are a number of options but I think what I’m going to do at this stage is get another 225 for the centre then the front 3 speakers are the all the same. I can see (and hopefully hear) the logic of balancing the tonality across the front. No doubt I’ll change it again one day, but when I do I’ll probably change all three eg upgrade to Silvers. Anyhow thanks for your feedback.

I can see from the monitor audio specs that the radius 250 goes down to 50Hz whereas the 225 only goes down to 80Hz. I’m therefore wondering if I might be better to go for three 250s for the centre and fronts. I currently crossover to the subs at 80, but this option would enable me to lower that a little at the front to gain greater bass clarity e.g. at 60-80Hz at the front and leaving the sun to deal with everything below that. If anyone has any experience iof comparing radius 225 and 250 speakers for bass response I’d be interested in how much the extra port and bigger cabinet actually makes. Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom